3 Days of Tylan and still sneezing

smiddendorff

Chirping
Jun 6, 2015
I bought a 6 week old Buff Orpington that turns out is having some respiratory issues. She had been sneezing with a runny nose and not interested in eating or drinking. After giving 1/10 cc of Tylan 50 (this was suggested by the vet), she showed signs of improving over 2 days. Even on day 3 all she had left was a runny nose. Well, now she started sneezing again. Do I need to increase her dosage? Continue giving her the same dosage for a couple more days? Or...I hate to say it....give up??? I am fairly new to taking care of sick birds. Any help is appreciated!!

Tylan may help prevent secondary infections in a virus, but it won't cure it. Infectious bronchitis is a common virus that would have to run it's course over 3-4 weeks. With a bacterial disease such as mycoplasma (MG) it may help symptoms. You can give Tylan for 3-5 days. Testing may tell you what disease the chick has, but many diseases are chronic, and can make carriers of a flock. Did you get the chick from a breeder, raise it yourself, or has it been exposed to a possible carrier bird?

I did get her from a breeder. After a long afternoon, I saw all of her symptoms return that were once gone. Since she was relapsing so rapidly, we decided to put her down. Hated to do it, but when Tylan wasn't kicking it what else was I to do? I couldn't let the poor thing continue to suffer like that then possibly cause my other birds to get sick. Thank goodness I had her separated from my other birds! This taught me a vary valuable lesson...do my homework with breeders, and ask them lots of questions. I am glad that no one was too attached to the birds yet.

Back
Top Bottom