3 Hens one Rooster

You'll end up with either over breeding or saddle back, I had four hens and one rooster and the poor girls were balding on their backs from the rooster because they were mounted too frequently.

It's worth a try but you may need to add more hens or re home the roo

Depends on the roo.

I have an older too that is content with 3 or 4 hens and doesn't over mate them. He's a true gentleman.

I had a young roo. In the crockpot now. That would chase down hens constantly. I don't think 20 hens would have been enough for him.

I have in my breeding pens now 2 different sets of 1 roo to 3 hens. I get fertile eggs and hens still have all their back feathers

Depends on the roo.

I have an older too that is content with 3 or 4 hens and doesn't over mate them. He's a true gentleman.

I had a young roo. In the crockpot now. That would chase down hens constantly. I don't think 20 hens would have been enough for him.

I have in my breeding pens now 2 different sets of 1 roo to 3 hens. I get fertile eggs and hens still have all their back feathers

I wish to meet a rooster like that one day, I myself and my friends have rooster(s) and they seem to care about nothing but mounting the hens, it could just be the age though.

Last edited:
As others have said, it will depend on the rooster. I had seven hens to one rooster and the hens all ended up losing their back feathers. Having seen the impact the rooster had on the hens, I will not keep one again, even though he was sweet to me and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom