3 month Easter Egger - hen or rooster?

Apr 30, 2020
This chicken was supposed to be a pullet - I bought it sexed from a hatchery March 4. But....it crowed this morning. This chicken is at the top of the pecking order though, so I'm still holding out hope that maybe it's just a crowing hen, which seems to be possible. Since it's an Easter Egger I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, and it has a muff rather than wattles, and I'm no good at telling hackle/saddle feathers apart in a rooster versus a hen. Any help? I feel like at this age it should be obvious but I'm not sure.

IMG_0918.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg

This chicken was supposed to be a pullet - I bought it sexed from a hatchery March 4. But....it crowed this morning. This chicken is at the top of the pecking order though, so I'm still holding out hope that maybe it's just a crowing hen, which seems to be possible. Since it's an Easter Egger I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, and it has a muff rather than wattles, and I'm no good at telling hackle/saddle feathers apart in a rooster versus a hen. Any help? I feel like at this age it should be obvious but I'm not sure.

View attachment 2208162
View attachment 2208166
If it crowed it's a rooster, rarely will a hen crow I've work with chickens since i was a little boy my Dad had owned a poultry farm and also had over 1,000 game cocks and hens and I've never heard a hen crow. So if crows it's a rooster no matter what it looks like. That's why some roosters are called "henneys" meaning a rooster that looks like a hen. Have fun!

If it crowed it's a rooster, rarely will a hen crow I've work with chickens since i was a little boy my Dad had owned a poultry farm and also had over 1,000 game cocks and hens and I've never heard a hen crow. So if crows it's a rooster no matter what it looks like. That's why some roosters are called "henneys" meaning a rooster that looks like a hen. Have fun!
But then i could be wrong 😂

Back
Top Bottom