3 month evaluation

My first batch of chickens contained a Rhode Island Red. Why I selected that one, I don't know. My daughter warned me about them, but I was desperate and thought that the season for selling chickens was almost over. My RIR was the first one I got. And it was the only rooster I had in that group. Was supposed to be a pullet, but, we figured out she was really a he and he was so possessive with the girls that he would attack us when we would go out in the chicken yard. He was hard to work with and he died suddenly one day. It was nice not having to go out in the chicken yard without protection!
RIR roosters I’ve heard are the worst.

My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

1. Rhode Islands Reds are buttholes...
2. Read #1 again...
3. Barred Rocks are delightful
4. They love to free range and are very good at it!!
5. Did I mention RIR's are buttholes?
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.
8. There are no boundaries...my wife's garden being the main thing :)
9. They love to dust bathe in freshly planted flowers...wife hates them.
10. They make some of the weirdest noises...

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!
First time I saw a hen eat a mouse (alive and whole) I don't know who was more surprised, me or the mouse. I am sure that the mouse was more upset at least for a minute.

My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

1. Rhode Islands Reds are buttholes...
2. Read #1 again...
3. Barred Rocks are delightful
4. They love to free range and are very good at it!!
5. Did I mention RIR's are buttholes?
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.
8. There are no boundaries...my wife's garden being the main thing :)
9. They love to dust bathe in freshly planted flowers...wife hates them.
10. They make some of the weirdest noises...

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!
Lol- I cant wait to hear why RIRs are buttholes. My FAVORITE chicken of all time is Rhodie, my RIR. She was the smartest, most independent, thought she was better than those chickens in the coop and felt she was entitled to hang with the humans. She had personality and made her presence known. I'm here to defend the Rhode Island Reds' honor :jumpy

I'm not very happy with my current Wyandotte either. Bought five chicks a little over a year ago - 2 SLWs, 2 Polish, 1 Jersey Giant. Down to one of each type. Polish is sweet, but she's the only one. SLW is at the bottom of the pecking order and relentlessly picked on. Won't come anywhere near me.

I had a darling GLW a while back, and I would love some blue laced red ones if they were friendly. :)

I saw someone has heard that BRs are bullies to flockmates - Mine is a darling around me, but she does insist that any given hen earn the right to roost with her. Not quite sure how that works...

RIR roosters I’ve heard are the worst.
The one I had was the best, big, proud and new how to strut, yes the hens would squabble among themselves. Everyone hammering my all time favorite American Breed has now forced my hand! I will be getting a dozen Spring 2024! :celebrate:plbb❤️ I will keep them segregated from my BLK AUS, I'm dumb, not stupid! 😁

Back
Top Bottom