3 month old bantam attacked by other chick

lisajeano

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2016
On Saturday around 8:30 a.m. my son-in-law heard a loud commotion outside at the coop. Our little bantam was tangled up with another 3 month old chick but he couldn't see which one. The other breeds we have are wyandotte, buff orpington and two big easter Eggers.
She had a bleeding injury near her ear and smaller pecks under each wing and one at the back of her neck. It didn't seem too bad. I've been putting Vetericyn on the wounds and they all look like they've healed. However, she still seems a little dazed. She is in the house with us in a box. She absolutely won't eat or drink on her own. I've been mashing up her chicken feed with warm water to make it more like an oatmeal consistency and giving her water through a syringe. I don't know how to get her to eat o her own or why she won't. Any suggestions would be appreciated or how to eventually introduce her back to the flock. Unfortunately she's the only tiny chick we have out of the flock.

The first thing your going to want to do is let visit with the others for 15 minutes per day. It doesn't sound like she's very high in the pecking order, but keeping her away will make her fall more, and that will not help. Make sure she's safe while doing it, through a fence or something.
After that, I'm not really sure, I'm sorry. I'm sure there are others on here that will help more, but right now the best advice I can give you is just wait until she doesn't have any injuries, and let her visit for longer and longer periods.
I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom