3 month old mopey silkie roo

Awheller

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
I have a 3 month old silkie roo not acting himself. He is acting more disconnected then usual. He originally was super low key, not the sharpest tool in the shed but went about his business like chickens do. It's been warm and I noticed he was feeling it and it seemed like it may have been taking a toll on him more the the others in his clique. His wings were hanging a little and he would hide out under the coop or in the coop to avoid the heat and appear with the others when it would cool down later in the day.
After a few days of this behavior the weather cooled a little and I started to watch more closely and realized I hadn't really seen him drink or eat. The weather got warm again I began brining him inside during the day and offering him electrolyte water. He is very uninterested in food or water. I have a dropper I drop the water on his beak and it runs down to the tip and he will drink it. I haven't seen him eat any food in a few days. I can feel the little liquid in his crop. His poo is small drops of white and green without much or any substance. I'd like to think it's not coccidia as I treated them all about a month ago after an exposure and one in the group fell ill for a few days. I assumed he may be dealing with heat stress considering how fluffy he is, he is the fluffiest out of all of them. Today was this third day coming inside I'm trying to keep him out of the heat and trying to get him to eat and drink on his own. He has pecked at the food a few times but I don't see him eat anything.
Besdies his lack of interest in food he's acting pretty normal but a little slow and weak from no nutrients. He scratches his head and preens himself and he putts around and takes naps. He just a little droopy and isn't interested in eating. Hoping he will perk up soon. Looking to see if anyone has experienced anything like this before or know what he may be going thru? Any advice? Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I’m sorry no one’s answered your thread! How’s your boy doing now? How many chickens do you have and how big is their coop/run area? How warm is it where you are located? Chickens can survive quite hot temps if it warms up slowly, but if there’s a sudden heat wave, it can be devastating. I would stop bringing him inside, as that messes up his heat tolerance. You don’t want him to get used to cool air and then not be able to bring him in one day, as that would not be good for him.

I’m sorry no one’s answered your thread! How’s your boy doing now? How many chickens do you have and how big is their coop/run area? How warm is it where you are located? Chickens can survive quite hot temps if it warms up slowly, but if there’s a sudden heat wave, it can be devastating. I would stop bringing him inside, as that messes up his heat tolerance. You don’t want him to get used to cool air and then not be able to bring him in one day, as that would not be good for him.
Hi thanks for your reply. We have a half acre for our flock roam and free range. We are in washington. Sadly after 2 weeks of nursing he went downhill quick and passed a few days ago. There were days where i really thought he was going to make it. I noticed he had lice and I know lice like sick birds, I checked the rest of my flock and didn't see any like I saw on him. I ordered medication but sadly it didnt arrive in time. I think there was something else going on internally that didn't meet the eye. I began to feed him with a syringe, I had been giving him electrolyte water and i gave him some egg yolk and it seemed to perk him up for a a day or 2 then it was like he crashed. Literally. I checked his crop often to make sure he had something in there, he would pass what i was feeding him just fine. Then one morning he was so weak he tipped over when I offered him food and what I had fed him came back up. He didn't want to get back up I put him outside in nature where could pass in peace and it wasn't long before he did. I still don't know what it could have been. I did have him out with his buddies the 1st couple days I noticed his behavior but he wasn't eating or moving around very much so I was worried If a predator of some sort came he would be an easy meal

Hi thanks for your reply. We have a half acre for our flock roam and free range. We are in washington. Sadly after 2 weeks of nursing he went downhill quick and passed a few days ago. There were days where i really thought he was going to make it. I noticed he had lice and I know lice like sick birds, I checked the rest of my flock and didn't see any like I saw on him. I ordered medication but sadly it didnt arrive in time. I think there was something else going on internally that didn't meet the eye. I began to feed him with a syringe, I had been giving him electrolyte water and i gave him some egg yolk and it seemed to perk him up for a a day or 2 then it was like he crashed. Literally. I checked his crop often to make sure he had something in there, he would pass what i was feeding him just fine. Then one morning he was so weak he tipped over when I offered him food and what I had fed him came back up. He didn't want to get back up I put him outside in nature where could pass in peace and it wasn't long before he did. I still don't know what it could have been. I did have him out with his buddies the 1st couple days I noticed his behavior but he wasn't eating or moving around very much so I was worried If a predator of some sort came he would be an easy meal
I’m so sorry about your boy. I agree, it was probably something internal, that maybe couldn’t have been prevented. I’ve had quite a few hens pass that way, but it’s always sad when it happens. Are any of your other birds displaying symptoms? I hope it was something that affected just one bird, and not the whole flock. Again, I’m sorry you lost him :hugs

I’m so sorry about your boy. I agree, it was probably something internal, that maybe couldn’t have been prevented. I’ve had quite a few hens pass that way, but it’s always sad when it happens. Are any of your other birds displaying symptoms? I hope it was something that affected just one bird, and not the whole flock. Again, I’m sorry you lost him :hugs
Everyone else seems just peachy. It is sad, I hatched him myself. He fought a good fight, I only wished I could have better helped him. Thank you, I appreciate your messages

Back
Top Bottom