3 month olds letting them out of the coop into the backyard WHEN?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by makoman, Apr 26, 2011.

1. makoman

makoman New Egg

Mar 20, 2011
    Question I have 5 ... 3 month old girls, when I can I let them out of the coop enclosed area into the backyard.. safely.
    How do I get them back into the coop when I want them back in the coop?
    If I already had chickens doing this, then the new ones would follow their routine..
    but we are all new at this me and the chicks..[​IMG]

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    If they've been in their coop for more than a week...you should be just fine. They will more than likely go right back into the coop at dusk to roost. Mine all did...varying ages and all! That is the really neat thing about chickens..they put themselves to bed! Way easier than training a dog lol!! [​IMG]

3. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I've been putting my chicks in the pen since they were 3 wks. When I want them back inside, I have to chase them. [​IMG]

4. lovebabychicks

lovebabychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    We would leave our chickens in the coop for a week or two so they would get used to it. Then when we wanted to let them out to free range in the yard we would do it about an hour before dark to start with. We had to help them find their way back into the coop once or twice. After that we could let them out in the morning and they would go back on their own before dark. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by