3 month+ sexing

BearBean

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
We got originally 5 chicks on March 5th. Two of them have since been taken away by a hungry hawk. Now, we have three: two Rhode Island Reds and one Plymouth Barred Rock. one of the Rhode Island Reds we have, since getting the guy, been calling The Runt, as it was clearly younger than the other, original 4. We believe the Runt was about 4-5 days at purchase, and the others a little older than that.

This puts our cockerels or pullets at a little over 3 months old. As first time chicken owners, we have no idea what they are. The store said they sold a vastly greater amount of pullets, but we are suspicious of all three.

L-R: The Runt, The Whiner (Barred Rock), Suspected Rooster

A close up of Suspected Rooster. A note on its title; one of the hawk victims was another RIR we referred to as Suspected Hen. Both were nearly identical when they were chicks but they started diverging strongly. Suspected Hen was clearly a lighter color, and lighter. (shortly before it was taken I weighed in Suspected Rooster at 1.5 lbs, while Suspected Hen was 1.0 lbs)

A closeup on the Runt.

Closeup of The Whiner, a Plymouth Barred Rock.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

They all look like girls to me. Sorry for your loss.

We have a large number amount of hawks is our backyard. I've seen 5 species in all. One day I saw 6 red tail hawks(3 pair) circling in the air. Luckily, we have thick woods for cover. When too many hawks are hunting, I keep all in their run until the hawks are done. Song birds are plentiful and I often see them get taken from a hawk in mid air.

Last edited:
yes those are all girls
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom