3 monthld Guinea bleeding

sasglm

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Central North Carolina

Hello, I've been raising 2 guineas and 4 pea chicks for 3 months now.
The guineas have been doing great and have been eating and behaving great with the Pea's.
This morning I notice some bright red blood under their cage.
I got to looking and one of the guineas looked like it had blood on it's leg, after looking a little more and seeing that the other guinea was peaking it's bottom area, I picked out the sick one and it was bleeding from it rectum area, some of the feathers were bloody and so I put it into another cage by itself.
Near as I can tell nothing outside of the cage has attacked it, and it was still eating normally.
Could one of the other birds have attacked the guinea? The pea chicks have always thought the guineas were their mother and would roost right under their wings.

I'll go take a picture in a few and post it here of it's bottom.

thanks
gary

Hello, I've been raising 2 guineas and 4 pea chicks for 3 months now.
The guineas have been doing great and have been eating and behaving great with the Pea's.
This morning I notice some bright red blood under their cage.
I got to looking and one of the guineas looked like it had blood on it's leg, after looking a little more and seeing that the other guinea was peaking it's bottom area, I picked out the sick one and it was bleeding from it rectum area, some of the feathers were bloody and so I put it into another cage by itself.
Near as I can tell nothing outside of the cage has attacked it, and it was still eating normally.
Could one of the other birds have attacked the guinea? The pea chicks have always thought the guineas were their mother and would roost right under their wings.

I'll go take a picture in a few and post it here of it's bottom.

thanks
gary
It is very likely that the damage has been caused by one of the other inmates. Once the blood starts it becomes a target for the others compounding the problem.

The cause could be due to poor nutrition but could also be due to overcrowding. It is my opinion that you definitely have them confined in too small an area for the number and size of the birds.

For the injured one, you could treat it with anti-pick or Blu Kote.

Hello, I moved the 2 guineas out of the cage and into a 10x10 pen with 2 chicken hens. the guineas seam to be spending most of their time preening and sitting on a roost 6ft off the ground. One of the first things they did was take a dirt bath that I watched, the chickens haven't really bothered them yet, the guineas can run faster and fly better than the chickens.

gary

Back
Top Bottom