3 of 40 hatched help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gogo10131, Jun 14, 2010.

1. gogo10131

gogo10131 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This was the first time that I've tried to hatch some chicken eggs. For my hatch I'm using a GQF Model 1588 Genesis Hovabator Egg Incubator with a egg turner. I started out with 40 eggs that i purchased near by and some from my own hens. When i went into lockdown there were 30 good fertile eggs. With the particular model its already pre-set to 99.5 and the thermometer read the same thing throughout. I don't know what went wrong. The 3 that did hatched, all hatched a day before they were do, if that helps. Any help would be great. Below is a pic of the actual incubator i was using and some of the eggs that i was using. I need all the advice i can get as i plan to try again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EggSpudition

EggSpudition Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry-- this has been a pretty bad year for shipped eggs in case that might be a factor. I'm set 4 batches-- and still no chicks..

3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Genesis 1588 and the first time I used it (don't trust the settings) the temps were a bit high (causes an early hatch) so I went ahead and calibrated it back to the factory settings per included instructions. It is always a good idea to set up your incubater several days ahead of time to check temps with a thermometer and get your humidity where you want it by using a hygrometer. With unshipped eggs 40% humidity has been working well for me. Too little humidity cause the chicks to become shrink wrapped and too much humidity cause them to drown. I use a reptile hygrometer that I got at the pet store called Exo Terra brand. Humidity is VERY important for a good hatch!!! GOOD LUCK with your next hatch! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    My guess would be humidity too - did you monitor it?

5. gogo10131

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I honestly didn't pay that much attention to the humidity. What should it be before lock down and during lock down? Or do you always keep the humidity the same?

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Oh Well thats why. You need to crank up the humidity to 60=70 % on day 18-21 (approx.)

7. gogo10131

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The manual just said to add water when the trey was low so i did, but i guess there was more to that

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I love my reptile hygrometer too....best $15 I have spent. I see you have the same thermometer that I had ...came with my hovabator...mine was REALLY off...like 3 degrees low. I tossed it after having a hatch of 3/18 (early too probably because of the higher temp and inaccurate humidity) and bought a decent digital thermometer. For that hatch I also cheaped out and thought I could trust filling the proper trays to give me the correct humidity....wrong....and I lost out big time. I also hatch local eggs now. I don`t get the variety that I am somewhat envious of seeing the lovely variety breed hatches people get...although I do tend to have successful hatches (don`t want to jinx things as I have 14 eggs in the bator now [​IMG] ).
    Good luck with future hatches and I would really recommend the hygrometer and decent thermometer...from someone who learned the hard way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by