3 out of 5 hens are missing feathers from butt and bloody

LinseyFL

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
I have 5 RIR hens. Only had then for 1 month month. They are about 1 yr old. They have been fine. Today we went out to feed them and 3 of the 5 were missing feathers from their butt and are bloody. I am totally new to chickens. Someone please help!! There were 5 eggs laid today. Thanks, Linsey

Maybe they need more protein in their diet, or they could be bored.

Are they free range? I had those too at one time, they didn't seem to do well with being locked up, they did better when I free ranged them.

As far as their butts you could clean it and put meds and if you are gonna put them back in the coop, you might need blue kote, or aprons to keep them protected cuz if there is blood the others will not stop pecking. Most of us seperate them until they heal or get something to prevent it. I don't know if you are able to bring them in the house or not.

Maybe someone else can add more for you! Good luck!

I had this problem with my young chicks before. Usually it is one picking on the others. Try to see if you have one that is more aggressive than the others. In the meantime, cover their wounds with Blu-Kote so they don't keep picking. Also, as mentioned make sure you have enough space for all the chickens and try to give them 'toys' to keep them occupied if they can't be out free ranging. When I have to keep the girls in the coop for the day (snow or ice related) I make sure they have plenty of straw to play with as well as a cauliflower to pick at through the day. Otherwise, they pick on each other. Their bottoms will heal quickly if they stop getting picked on. You may however have to put the three out to the 'chicken hospital' so they can heal for a day or two before you put them back together.

Hi I am new to the board but have been around chickens all my life growing up.. I had the same problem this spring and lost one chicken to "hut madness".. Of course this is my own term for lack of a better one.. What I did is got some suet bricks from the store (suet with sunflowers) and they love them.. I had to separate one hen because of how bad her bottom was.. I used Tea Tree Oil mixed with water 50/50 for a topical anti-everything spray and it has worked most well.. The wound was about the size of an orange no skin, looked really bad... Now she has almost fully recovered.. I also used Apple cider vinegar @ the rate of 2 tea spoons per gallon.. I hope everything turns out well for your bird, keep us updated..

Ike

Back
Top Bottom