3 PIPS!!! (Already??)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Ok, maybe I just have weird birds, but it is day 19 on my bantam eggs from my own flock, and i have 3 pipped already!! This time, I got a fan, and the temps have been around 99/100 degrees the whole time!!
They were still in the turner!!! AGAIN!! This is the 2nd time I have had chicks pip in the turner! My hatcher is not holding temps very well, but I had to move the eggs; no room in the bator for hatching. Will they be OK in the hatcher, with the temps going up and down?

Just shut off the turner and leave em if your worried about fluctuations. I read someplace here that someone has chicks to hatch in the turner. I would take them out as soon as possible though so the don't burn their heads.

Congrats on the pips! You will have babies before too long.
jumpy.gif

In the future, you want to take them out of the turner by day 18. This is to prevent them from hatching in the turner..for those babies who want to come out early.

Jody

Quote:
Mine have always hatched 2 or 3 days early. This is with the temps where they are supposed to be, lower than they are supposed to be, with a fan, without a fan. I think it is just my birds!! I was trying to get my hatcher stabilized, or to see if it were ok if they were in there with the temps fluctuating, but I couldn't get anyone to answer my other post, that could offer any help. That's why they were still in the turner, I had no wplace else to put them, except the hatcher. The temps go between 100 during the day, and down to 95 at least at night. I hope this doesn't hurt them!

I have some quail eggs, plus 6 more chicken eggs, then I am stopping till spring. Or at least till I have something reliable to hatch in!!

<EDIT> There is one chick out already, and there are at least 4 pips, maybe 5, the chick keeps moving the eggs around!! And this one is a cry-baby!!

Last edited:
If your hatches are consistently hatching early, then I would say your thermometer is reading lower than it actually is. I would turn it back a half degree and your future hatches should hatch on time.

I understand your predicament now. I thought you just didn't move them in time. Yeah, having that hatcher ready early is a good idea, so you don't have to deal with those fluctuations and adjustments at the last minute. It's great to hear they're hatching. Congrats.
jumpy.gif

Jody

I have two different thermometers, plus the junky one that came with the bator. Both of the ones I bought read differently, one is a little bit lower than the other. The one that came with the bator is 2 degrees lower than the lowest of the other two. I keep the middle one in there, process of elimination? The two that I bought are very close on temp, and the same on humidity. Could they both be off? And how can I test them? One is the accurite, no sensor; the other is the Springfield brand, 'precise temp', also no sensor. They don't read the same, but they are very close. Maybe half a degree difference, if that much.

I woke up this morning to 3 chicks, and all 6 of the other eggs have pips!! The temp was only 96.8 in the hatcher, so atleast it didn't get down too low!

Back
Top Bottom