3 roosters and 6 hens

Happylivingchickenfarm

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2020
I hatched a new batch of eggs about 8 months ago, I got out 2 hens and 3 roosters. I already had four hens, but decided to expand the flock. I tamed the roosters by holding them every day, “pecking” them with my fingers if they misbehaved, and tossing them around a bit. I would never throw my hens, but I wanted my roosters to behave so I’m a bit more rough with them. I have stopped doing that now because they haven’t given me trouble since a few month ago when they went through a pecking phase. They don’t attack me or anyone in my family and are actually really sweet! 2 of them have started fighting a bit, but it’s only during chicken time durning the evening and the third rooster breaks it up. Is it unusual that my roosters are so sweet, and do I have to worry about them in the future with the hens? Is there a certain time of year when roosters do get aggressive, like mating season? I’m not new to chickens, but I’m very new to roosters.

That many cockerels with that many pullets... when the hormones surge in the spring the boys will be fighting. Sometimes they can work things out. SOMETIMES. More often than not, they will eventually really fight and they injure each other. BTDT.
Then there is the overbreeding that is likely to occur with the girls and that many boys. Time will tell but you have a good recipe for an unhappy flock in the future.

I hatched a new batch of eggs about 8 months ago, I got out 2 hens and 3 roosters. I already had four hens, but decided to expand the flock. I tamed the roosters by holding them every day, “pecking” them with my fingers if they misbehaved, and tossing them around a bit. I would never throw my hens, but I wanted my roosters to behave so I’m a bit more rough with them. I have stopped doing that now because they haven’t given me trouble since a few month ago when they went through a pecking phase. They don’t attack me or anyone in my family and are actually really sweet! 2 of them have started fighting a bit, but it’s only during chicken time durning the evening and the third rooster breaks it up. Is it unusual that my roosters are so sweet, and do I have to worry about them in the future with the hens? Is there a certain time of year when roosters do get aggressive, like mating season? I’m not new to chickens, but I’m very new to roosters.
20201204_10372515.jpg

It doesn’t matter how much you tame them. Once the hormones kick in, you will start to have some serious aggression issues and I wouldn’t be surprised if you walk into the chicken run and discover a brutal bloodbath. I have raised many cockerels, and they all turn into jerks eventually. Even ones that were raised together in a brooder; one night my two cocks were roosting next to each other (almost snuggling) and the next day one almost killed the other. I would rehome / cull 2 of them. Keep whichever one is the gentlest and has the best personality.

You are hoping for a bye, maybe you got one, probably you didn't. The more roosters you have, the greater the chance of things going poorly.

Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster aggression, either to themselves, to the hens or to other roosters. It can be rather horrifying.

The advice above to limit your set up to one rooster is very good advice. One rooster is kind of fun, in a small flock. But even with just one, some do not work out. The secret to a good rooster is a sharp knife and only keeping really good roosters.

The advice above about having a plan B is also excellent, often times inexperienced people do not pick up on the cues that aggression is coming, or do not think it will be much. Sometimes you need to be able to separate them immediately. A chicken hook or a fish net can be very helpful. And a dog crate or something similar to put at least one in.

Mrs K

I've successful kept 2 rooster with 6 hens. They were in an area that was about 32'x24'. They were from the same hatch. No over mating and roosters got along well together.

Roosters, unfortunately, can change their tune in an instant when they hit puberty. If you get through spring and everyone is still getting along I'd say you're out of the woods. However I think it's a bit surprising that you just so happened to end up with 3 incredibly mellow roosters by chance. Temperament is partially genetic so it could happen but definitely have a back up plan for at least 1 of them. I have to cull heavy for even 1 good rooster. To me that means they have zero aggression to humans, hens, roosters or other animals, protective when required, relatively quiet and good looking/desirable genetics.

Be careful second chances don't turn into 5th, 6th or 7th chances because you don't want to admit your sweet boys have grown into jerks. That's where problems (injuries to people to hens) happen in a hurry.

That many cockerels with that many pullets... when the hormones surge in the spring the boys will be fighting. Sometimes they can work things out. SOMETIMES. More often than not, they will eventually really fight and they injure each other. BTDT.
Then there is the overbreeding that is likely to occur with the girls and that many boys. Time will tell but you have a good recipe for an unhappy flock in the future.
Is it possible to just separate the roosters from the hens in the spring, or are they still likely to kill each other?

Back
Top Bottom