3 separate hens laying just two weeks after hatching eggs

They only sat long enough to hatch one chick, one chick again, and two chicks. they all all between 2-4 weeks, and the mothers are already "abandoning them" and going off and laying eggs again. Leaving the chicks to fend for themselves. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I have had several hens (one of which is one of these mentioned above that hatched one egg) that have hatched 10 babies before, and didn't wean them until 7-9 weeks. Any one know why this is happening all of a sudden? and with all three of my hens that hatched ? Im confused. and all three of these hens got off their eggs early. after the first day that one or two hens hatched.. and left the other FERTILE eggs there. looked fully developed to me.

They only sat long enough to hatch one chick, one chick again, and two chicks. they all all between 2-4 weeks, and the mothers are already "abandoning them" and going off and laying eggs again. Leaving the chicks to fend for themselves. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I have had several hens (one of which is one of these mentioned above that hatched one egg) that have hatched 10 babies before, and didn't wean them until 7-9 weeks. Any one know why this is happening all of a sudden? and with all three of my hens that hatched ? Im confused. and all three of these hens got off their eggs early. after the first day that one or two hens hatched.. and left the other FERTILE eggs there. looked fully developed to me.
Were ALL the eggs Set Under each Hen at the Same time?? If So they all should have hatched around the same time---usually within 24 hour period of time. If the eggs were just added at different times and days----Most broodies will not stay for several more days to try to hatch the rest. Does each hen have their own chick or they all kinda stay together?? Thinking this might be why they have started back to laying???

Were ALL the eggs Set Under each Hen at the Same time?? If So they all should have hatched around the same time---usually within 24 hour period of time. If the eggs were just added at different times and days----Most broodies will not stay for several more days to try to hatch the rest. Does each hen have their own chick or they all kinda stay together?? Thinking this might be why they have started back to laying???
They each have their own chick or chicks, and they try to stay as far away from eachother as possible. Until recently and the mothers are just hiding out in general and we have little chickens running around chirping for their mamas. And they don't just leave them when they lay, sometimes its all day long. These hens are game chickens. They lay usually somewhere around 10-14 eggs then start sitting on them. Which is what happened with all of these. NO eggs were added after they started sitting. and When I removed the eggs after several days after they left with their single chicks.. the eggs left appeared FULLY developed. that's whats so confusing.

They each have their own chick or chicks, and they try to stay as far away from eachother as possible. Until recently and the mothers are just hiding out in general and we have little chickens running around chirping for their mamas. And they don't just leave them when they lay, sometimes its all day long. These hens are game chickens. They lay usually somewhere around 10-14 eggs then start sitting on them. Which is what happened with all of these. NO eggs were added after they started sitting. and When I removed the eggs after several days after they left with their single chicks.. the eggs left appeared FULLY developed. that's whats so confusing.
OK---not sure why they are abandoning them----usually the chicks stay with their mother--or close. I set 72 broody hens in 2015 alone---every hen hatch a great nest of chicks---never had one to abandon them.

Sounds like you do not collect their eggs, Let me suggest this---Collect All eggs every day from Every nest---even if the nest is occupied. If you want you can get you a few fake eggs to out in the nest when you remove the real ones. If you want these hens to hatch the eggs----put them in a carton in your cool house---even date them when you collect them. Turn these eggs every day---twice a day would be better. Any eggs over 12 days old I would fry them up for the animals. When you get a hen that has gone broody---get her a clutch of eggs, mark them clearly and set her. If she is where other hens can get in her nest---check under her every day and remove any unmarked eggs. Doing this will usually give you a great hatch. Just leaving the eggs in the nest on really warm days can shorten the life of them---so its better to put them where they are cool---I would not suggest keeping them in a fridge. Good Luck

Edited to add---I use the game bantams to hatch other breeds besides their breed---100's and 100's of other breeds.

OK---not sure why they are abandoning them----usually the chicks stay with their mother--or close. I set 72 broody hens in 2015 alone---every hen hatch a great nest of chicks---never had one to abandon them.

Sounds like you do not collect their eggs, Let me suggest this---Collect All eggs every day from Every nest---even if the nest is occupied. If you want you can get you a few fake eggs to out in the nest when you remove the real ones. If you want these hens to hatch the eggs----put them in a carton in your cool house---even date them when you collect them. Turn these eggs every day---twice a day would be better. Any eggs over 12 days old I would fry them up for the animals. When you get a hen that has gone broody---get her a clutch of eggs, mark them clearly and set her. If she is where other hens can get in her nest---check under her every day and remove any unmarked eggs. Doing this will usually give you a great hatch. Just leaving the eggs in the nest on really warm days can shorten the life of them---so its better to put them where they are cool---I would not suggest keeping them in a fridge. Good Luck

Edited to add---I use the game bantams to hatch other breeds besides their breed---100's and 100's of other breeds.
Thanks, that sounds like a great Idea. See, we don't usually try to let them hatch. Trying to get the broodiness out of these game hens has become impossible. it would be one thing if they went broody every once in a while, but they go broody EVERY TIME they lay a certain number of eggs! it's insane!(and a lot of the time, we know the eggs are fertile. Like now, we have a new rooster and most of the hens won't let him get anywhere near them yet!)
Thank you for your suggestion. I will def try that.

Thanks, that sounds like a great Idea. See, we don't usually try to let them hatch. Trying to get the broodiness out of these game hens has become impossible. it would be one thing if they went broody every once in a while, but they go broody EVERY TIME they lay a certain number of eggs! it's insane!(and a lot of the time, we know the eggs are fertile. Like now, we have a new rooster and most of the hens won't let him get anywhere near them yet!)
Thank you for your suggestion. I will def try that.
Do you Collect the eggs daily or let them stay in the nest??? If you leave eggs in a nest----they will go broody quick. You can not get the broodiness out of them, but you can break them as soon as you know they are going broody. It only takes 3 days usually if you properly set-up a broody breaker pen. I have always let mine set/hatch---some of them set and raise chicks 3 to 4 times a year. I sell most of the ones they raise.

Do you Collect the eggs daily or let them stay in the nest??? If you leave eggs in a nest----they will go broody quick. You can not get the broodiness out of them, but you can break them as soon as you know they are going broody. It only takes 3 days usually if you properly set-up a broody breaker pen. I have always let mine set/hatch---some of them set and raise chicks 3 to 4 times a year. I sell most of the ones they raise.
I collect Daily. Usually twice a day. The biggest problem I have is that these "Game hens" like to hide and lay. sooo usually by the time I find their nest, there's anywhere from 5-7 eggs in it already, or I find it AFTER they've started sittin'. I live on 29 acres... They only free range on about two of those acres but unfortunately with the barns, stalls, tractor sheds, etc, its really hard to find sometimes. I've even had to CRAWL UNDER buildings.. they're good at making me go on egg hunts daily. I'm tryin to get away from those hens. Selling them as I can. At one time, I had like 20 of those.. now I've got 10 more to get I need to try and go ahead and sale.. then I shouldn't have to worry about it anymore!

I collect Daily. Usually twice a day. The biggest problem I have is that these "Game hens" like to hide and lay. sooo usually by the time I find their nest, there's anywhere from 5-7 eggs in it already, or I find it AFTER they've started sittin'. I live on 29 acres... They only free range on about two of those acres but unfortunately with the barns, stalls, tractor sheds, etc, its really hard to find sometimes. I've even had to CRAWL UNDER buildings.. they're good at making me go on egg hunts daily. I'm tryin to get away from those hens. Selling them as I can. At one time, I had like 20 of those.. now I've got 10 more to get I need to try and go ahead and sale.. then I shouldn't have to worry about it anymore!
OOOOOOOK, That makes a difference!!. I never let my game free-range Or the Guinea's anymore----they might end up in the tree's---LOL.

Back
Top Bottom