3 Small bumps or cysts forming around broody hens eye. Everything else seems normal. How to help her?

MauiHen

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
My 2 year old half Buff Orpington half Maran hen has been sitting on duck eggs for a month. They are just starting to hatch and in the last 5 or 6 days a lump has slowly been growing on her eyelid. She seems normal and healthy, still eats, drinks, and poops normal. Hasn't been around other chickens to get pecked or injured. In safe nursery zone.
20231227_071846.jpg

No other birds are showing any similar symptoms. I have some opthamalic eye gel that I was intending to use to see if it does anything for her. Her face is a little pinkish and I'm trying to watch for more lumps but I really don't want the ducklings to catch anything if its contagious.
I have no clue what could have caused it? I added some sand to her dust bath? Maybe something about being broody has made her susceptible to bites or infections? Her space and pine bedding seems very clean...

20231227_071717.jpg

It looks like it might be fowl pox to me does she have any other scab like bumps on her face? Are mosquitoes still out where you live?

@kuntrygirl
Actually I think you're right. I found one small scab on another hen.
What do I do for the ducklings? If its passed by mosquitos I dont have much of an area they can be away from them. Do you think they will be okay? Theres still 4 more eggs maybe about to hatch..

Actually I think you're right. I found one small scab on another hen.
What do I do for the ducklings? If its passed by mosquitos I dont have much of an area they can be away from them. Do you think they will be okay? Theres still 4 more eggs maybe about to hatch..
My quick reading about it, if it really is fowl pox, is there isn't a cure and it rides out its course in about a month. Supporting them with extra vitamins, like poultry cell, might help them stay stronger.

I would put Vetericyn on the lesions you're finding to help so they don't get infected or spread. It's safe for eyes too.

Usually with fowl pox, no treatment is needed, and touching or disturbing scabs can help to spread the virus. But if scabs are near the eyes, I would use a bit of Terramycin or Neosporin ointment in the eye to prevent infection. Fowl pox can be harder on and more serious in newly hatched chicks and ducklings. Their eyes or nostrils may become blocked with swelling that prevents seeing food/water or breathing. This is a decent article about fowl pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom