3 week Ameraucauna/Easter Egger, can anybody help with gender and breed

SusanMc

Songster
Jul 28, 2020
BC 🇨🇦
Hi
These are my new chicks, I was told they were Ameraucauna, but since read a post on this site saying they might not be. Also I was wondering if there are any indicators for gender.
Cheers

Attachments

• AD5A6234-B8D6-4D6B-B586-5BD5E121AAF3.jpeg
    AD5A6234-B8D6-4D6B-B586-5BD5E121AAF3.jpeg
    948.4 KB · Views: 14
  • C10DE003-4A39-4C0B-A7C7-0E5D3297DDEE.jpeg
    C10DE003-4A39-4C0B-A7C7-0E5D3297DDEE.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 10
It's a bit early, although pinker, wider combs are likely to be boys. If you see any RED/RUST feathers coming in on the shoulders, probably a cockerel (see here- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fizzy-the-ee-roo.1451197/page-2 )

And they're likely EE/Easter Eggers unless you paid a pretty penny for them from a breeder! I'm not insanely familiar with the Ameraucana color standards but I'd bet you have EE's, they're gorgeous though <3

Yes I paid 6.25 per chick. I’ll take a closer look at the combs.
Price isn’t often a very good indicator, but generally pure Ameraucanas cost more, but you can get them for cheaper. Many say if you paid less than $20 per chick they aren’t Ameraucanas, but that isn’t true. I only pain $10 a piece for mine.

Yours are indeed EEs though, they are common EE colors.

Yes I paid 6.25 per chick. I’ll take a closer look at the combs.
Hi
These are my new chicks, I was told they were Ameraucauna, but since read a post on this site saying they might not be. Also I was wondering if there are any indicators for gender.
Cheers
Price isn’t often a very good indicator, but generally pure Ameraucanas cost more, but you can get them for cheaper. Many say if you paid less than $20 per chick they aren’t Ameraucanas, but that isn’t true. I only pain $10 a piece for mine.

who would pay $20 for a chicken that lays a normal number of average sized eggs?

who would pay $20 for a chicken that lays a normal number of average sized eggs?
Because not everyone is in it for production. Heck, I don’t even like eggs. :lol:

But Ameraucanas are incredible birds, they are sweet, gentle, adorable, beautiful, and add an amazing color to the egg basket.

I personally probably would pay $20 for one, depending on quality. But I haven’t, and have no plans too.

what you feed your chicken influences the quality of the egg...the egg shell...is just a color...
A color that is beautiful. I

don’t personally eat the eggs, so how they taste doesn’t affect me, but I enjoy looking at a beautiful rainbow basket. True eye candy. :love

Back
Top Bottom