3 week chick in shock!

Mortey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Longstory, typing with one hand to hold her in the other.... dog was by 3 week chick outside. No blood, wet head and not moving, but breathing. What do i do??

Dark, quiet, warm place... her own water - with electrolytes if you have some (liquid, powder, even sugar if nothing else), and her own food.. Just keep checking on her but give her lots of rest. Watch for any other symptoms. Poor baby!

Thank you- she is drinking a little but no big movements yet.

yeah.. it could be a day or so... I don't know if this is possible with your dog, but we trained our labs when our girls were just tiny chicks. We would let them sniff them, and put the chicks on them and just kinda hang out while we were present. We have two yellow labs and you'd never know now (after over a year) that these were birds! Now, my mother's poodle - that's a whooooollllle different story!

I had our 10 chicks outside for some play in their almost finished chicken run and when I was bringing them in one ran under the coop, so I set up a little net so she couldn't get out and ran the others inside. When I can back our dog (a Boston Terrier) was standing over the chick... I thought it was dead but it was just the way her head feathers looked in the sun when they were wet (dog slobber??). She isn't bleeding anywhere, just in complete shock and still not opening her eyes. I can get her to drink a little, but she isn't moving much at all.

Our dog has never been viscous and I have let him come in and sniff the chicks..... not sure what set him off or if he was just overly excited to play? Def. not leaving them alone again, even if I am rushed!

Back
Top Bottom