3 week old and 1 week old emus sick

Kyrahayson29

Hatching
Feb 25, 2021
I have a 3 and 1 week old emus that are declining fast, 3 week old emu is having trouble standing up. Once standing its wobbly but can walk, legs don't seem turned in or out. Just looks like it has weak legs. Within 6 hours my 1 week old emu started hanging its head down and now is tucking its head under its belly. Had them on chick starter non medicated but just switched to ratite. They also eat greens. Any ideas on what to do? They are going down hill fast.

No they haven't been vaccinated. I was under the impression that they didn't have to be until they go outside

I have a 3 and 1 week old emus that are declining fast, 3 week old emu is having trouble standing up. Once standing its wobbly but can walk, legs don't seem turned in or out. Just looks like it has weak legs. Within 6 hours my 1 week old emu started hanging its head down and now is tucking its head under its belly. Had them on chick starter non medicated but just switched to ratite. They also eat greens. Any ideas on what to do? They are going down hill fast.
more info. needed...what kind of living environment do you have them in?
Are they getting fresh air and sunshine ( very important they have both ) and are you able to keep them warm, about 80 degrees at this time?
Are they actually " tumbling" over Ie: somersaulting ? ( vit. E deficiency can cause this)
If so...get them on a good MULTI VITAMIN asap, it can only help and one with electrolytes & probiotics too. Rooster Booster makes a good one . ( called vitamins electrolytes plus & easily found at TSC etc. )
B COMPLEX can help too.
Main thing is...
Keep them clean with plenty of room to exercise, provide fresh air and sunshine always. ( non slip flooring VERY IMPORTANT ) .

Back
Top Bottom