3 week old and 6 week old chicks introduction to native soil

WhatTheCluck89

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Ottawa, Ontario, Beautiful Canada
I have 3 week and 6 week old chicks in a brooder indoors. I would like to start introducing them to native soil. I just saw the article about how that should have been done sooner. My chicks are not on medicated feed, and haven't received any form of vaccinations. I have introduced them to sand, but it was store bought and they haven't been outside yet because I live in Canada and it's still chilly out. Can I just fill a box with a bit of dirt from the yard and supervise them with it? Anything I should worry about?
Thank you :) new chicky mom over here.

My chicks were vaccinated for Marek's, but nothing else. I also have them in a brooder in the house, and didn't want them to go from the house bubble to outside without any sort of transition. I started digging up clumps of sod and grass and putting them in their brooder in a shallow tupperware and just keeping an eye out for any signs of anything going awry at 4 week old. It has been two weeks and everyone is just fine. I would definitely recommend the sod method.

My chicks were vaccinated for Marek's, but nothing else. I also have them in a brooder in the house, and didn't want them to go from the house bubble to outside without any sort of transition. I started digging up clumps of sod and grass and putting them in their brooder in a shallow tupperware and just keeping an eye out for any signs of anything going awry at 4 week old. It has been two weeks and everyone is just fine. I would definitely recommend the sod method.
I agree and begin putting clumps of sod in the brooder at 1 week old. Have never had any issues with that approach.

Yes that's what I did exactly, I dug up a nice sized square of my yard that fit into a shallow plastic bin. They loved it. That was a month ago, they are all outside now 😀

Back
Top Bottom