1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old bunnies....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by amynbrent, Feb 25, 2012.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Mom and babies have been in a small room of the hutch for three weeks. Babies are growing fast and are very active. When can I open the room and let them come and go as the please? I have three other rabbits in the hutch. This is our first time with rabbits, we thought all were girls...umm no! [​IMG] I believe the two other females are pregnate and within the next week I plan on moving them into seperate cages. After this no more babies and Mr. Stud will be in his own cage. All are very calm & friendly rabbits, I just have no clue what to expect when the babies join them...we only have two babies.

Thanks!

2. Don't mix babies with adults!!!!!!!!! The adults could kill them or breed the kits.You should probally sell the kits unless you plan on raising rabbits. Post pics and what breed are they?

3. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Thanks, I didnt think I could let them out but their little room is getting cramped. I will prob move the other rabbits sooner and give mom and babies the run of the big hutch. We do plan on keeping these two since that is all she had. Any more from the others we will sell. The other rabbits did have 15 babies between the two but we didnt know... they were all buried, I clean the hutch every 2-3 days so that is how I found them and they all were dead. Being that they had this time alone with the male we were told they were most likely preg again. I cant tell, they feel the same size and weight as when we first got them in December. I have not clue what breed, they are just the typical looking rabbit, nothing fancy. I will post a pic shortly.

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad to hear that the two kits are doing well. If the mother has been ok with the other rabbits, she may continue to be fine with the kits continuing to live in the same cage with her (some rabbits get very territorial, and won't even tolerate their own offspring past a certain point, others aren't anywhere near so cranky!) Do you know what gender the two kits are? 3 weeks is a little young for an inexperienced person to be positive, but you need to be sure about whether they are boys or girls. Bucks become fertile sometime between 3 and 4 months of age, and a young buck most definitely will breed his sisters and mother! I usually separate the bucks from the does by about 10 weeks of age.

Good luck, looking forward to pics!

5. thats a good idea! we raised rabbits for like 5 years and i had this one doe and she was sorta like a feral lop running around. well she found her way into my prized bucks cage ad got bred. she had her babies under her cage and then abandon them and got bred agian. this litter she took care of and she was the meanest rabbit ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by