3 week old chick can't walk

tsgate

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Hey! I have a three week old Rhode Island Red pullet who can't stand or walk. She was doing great and then two days ago I noticed she was not getting up. I have seperated her from the others and she is eating and drinking. She seemed a little lethargic at first, but that has passed. If you move her she wobbles and has trouble getting settled. She can move both legs and doesn't squawk when you move them. She talks and seems fine except for the standing and walking. I have added an antibiotic to her water. Help! Thanks!
smile.png

Hey if you find out which leg is injured or hurt, you could put a stick or thoothpick to help make sure it is straight... in a few days hopefully your chick can walk and surport it's own weight. My friend did this once and in three days the leg was all better! Good luck!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Amazing, I'm having the same problem with a 6-week old chick. She's been like this for three days and today I noticed that she sits on her legs and the left foot curls in to a claw. She doesn't want to stand or walk, but she's eating and drinking well. I have her separated from the others and I'm going to call the Vet tomorrow. I think it is an injury as well. We've been having snow and cold weather so I have eight 6-week old chicks in a brooder, can't put them in the coop yet, and naturally they're a little crowded. I'm hoping to get them out if it gets above freezing at the end of the week!

I'll let you know if I find anything out from the Vet, please let me know if you come up with any answers.

Hey! Thanks for all the replies. Still the same, no change. I will just keep taking care of her and see what happens.

Amazing, I'm having the same problem with a 6-week old chick. She's been like this for three days and today I noticed that she sits on her legs and the left foot curls in to a claw. She doesn't want to stand or walk, but she's eating and drinking well. I have her separated from the others and I'm going to call the Vet tomorrow. I think it is an injury as well. We've been having snow and cold weather so I have eight 6-week old chicks in a brooder, can't put them in the coop yet, and naturally they're a little crowded. I'm hoping to get them out if it gets above freezing at the end of the week!

I'll let you know if I find anything out from the Vet, please let me know if you come up with any answers.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency
You might look up curly toe paralysis and try giving some riboflavin to see if it helps- here is another link:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
scroll down to riboflavin

Hey! I have a three week old Rhode Island Red pullet who can't stand or walk. She was doing great and then two days ago I noticed she was not getting up. I have seperated her from the others and she is eating and drinking. She seemed a little lethargic at first, but that has passed. If you move her she wobbles and has trouble getting settled. She can move both legs and doesn't squawk when you move them. She talks and seems fine except for the standing and walking. I have added an antibiotic to her water. Help! Thanks!
smile.png

At three weeks old, some of the main things to watch out for are vitamin deficiencies and coccidiosis from my knowledge. I am thinking that I have read that it is too soon to be showing signs of Mareks at that age- but have no experience with Mareks.

If she is not lethargic anymore and is eating and drinking AND doesn't have diarrhea or bloody poo, then I wouldn't consider coccidiosis in my opinion.

However, since it is so easy to add vitamins to the water (poultry pack) that is what I would try if it were my chicken (also some on BYC have experimented with giving baby vitamins- poly vi sol without iron).

I am sure there must be other potential causes, such as bacterial or viral diseases but it is very helpful to offer vitamins when they get lame just in case it helps in my opinion. (see above links I gave the other person if you would, esp. the lower link)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will give it a try! We are getting desperate. I appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom