3 week old chick is unable to stand up and walk.

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My 3 week old Australorp was fine the previous day, running around and playing with 3 chicks and a cockerel.
But when i woke up this morning to check on them, she was unable to stand up and run away from me as she is super scared of me.

She cant stand up and is barely changing her direction and just laying down. What should i do?
Please help and thank you.View attachment 2352661View attachment 2352663View attachment 2352664

Sorry to hear about your chick, and sorry you haven't received a reply sooner. How is she doing today? Could you answer a few questions that will ultimately help us, help her in the long run?

What is she being fed? What kind of bedding substrate is she being kept on? Do you have a picture of her pen area? Have you inspected her legs, and felt to make sure each joint bends properly? Do you feel any warm spots or signs of redness? Is she eating and drinking? How does her feces look, could you post a picture? Could she have injured herself on something?

With chicks, there are several leg problems that we tend to see often, which would include riboflavin deficiencies, Mareks disease(very unlikley here), slipped tendons, or injuries. Basing off of the timeline in which she developed these problems I would be inclined to think it would be on the injury-related sign, but currently, that's pure speculation, so I think we should cover a few base's and start her vitamins and start her on supportive care.

As just a very basic treatment, I would start her on vitamin B complex, vitamin E, and a natural selenium source to see if it might be nutritionally related, and if she is totally unable to stand up making a sling of sorts (picture provided below) may prove beneficial to prevent sores from developing on her underside. For a vitamin B dose, you can get some Cattle B complex and give her a drop or two alongside her beak, or crush a 1/4 of a B complex tablet and add it to some treats, or mix it in with water and give her a few drops orally. For vitamin E, you can get some 400iu soft gel tablets, and give her one a day over treats or along the break. Offering mashed scrambled eggs will provide her with a selenium source along with several other essential vitamins.

1601434807089.png

Sorry to hear about your chick, and sorry you haven't received a reply sooner. How is she doing today? Could you answer a few questions that will ultimately help us, help her in the long run?

What is she being fed? What kind of bedding substrate is she being kept on? Do you have a picture of her pen area? Have you inspected her legs, and felt to make sure each joint bends properly? Do you feel any warm spots or signs of redness? Is she eating and drinking? How does her feces look, could you post a picture? Could she have injured herself on something?

With chicks, there are several leg problems that we tend to see often, which would include riboflavin deficiencies, Mareks disease(very unlikley here), slipped tendons, or injuries. Basing off of the timeline in which she developed these problems I would be inclined to think it would be on the injury-related sign, but currently, that's pure speculation, so I think we should cover a few base's and start her vitamins and start her on supportive care.

As just a very basic treatment, I would start her on vitamin B complex, vitamin E, and a natural selenium source to see if it might be nutritionally related, and if she is totally unable to stand up making a sling of sorts (picture provided below) may prove beneficial to prevent sores from developing on her underside. For a vitamin B dose, you can get some Cattle B complex and give her a drop or two alongside her beak, or crush a 1/4 of a B complex tablet and add it to some treats, or mix it in with water and give her a few drops orally. For vitamin E, you can get some 400iu soft gel tablets, and give her one a day over treats or along the break. Offering mashed scrambled eggs will provide her with a selenium source along with several other essential vitamins.

View attachment 2353971
Thanks for replying!

I took her and rest of the chicks out on the lawn for a change and she started walking normally!
Its a miracle!
She was eating just fine and we gave them a huge intake for protein as there were some vegetable bugs.
I did inspect her legs and the joints seemed to be working fine. She wasn't in pain when i touched or moved them.

She is eating fine, although everyone except one chick seems to be drinking water in excess and excreting watery poop. Any idea on that?

Although, its still a mystery on how she became completely normal when taken outside.

Glad to hear she's doing better. Thanks for the update. My best guess, if she improved over a very short period, would be that she possibly injured something.

Back
Top Bottom