3 week old chick with swollen ears

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToFarming, Feb 23, 2013.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have never encountered this before and I can't find a whole lot of info on it either. I have a naked neck chick that suddenly developed swollen ears. The best way to try to describe it is they kind of look like a doughnut with a black center. I could not see that there was drainage or anything from it. I did not notice the ears swollen yesterday. It seems to be eating, drinking and running around fine. The swelling are very firm to touch. I put antibiotic ointment on it and tucked the chick back in under it Momma for the night. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow.
    Has anyone ever seen this before?

2. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    It looks even worse today. Here is a picture of the worst ear.

[​IMG]

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Is both her ears swollen? If not, maybe she was bitten. Hopefully someone can help you on this.

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! The other ear looks a swollen but definitely not near as big as this one. He seems to be eating and running around like nothing is wrong. He can still hear because when I am checking him out his Momma starts clucking and he wants to get back to her. I am still putting on antibiotic ointment on it to see if it will help.

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  6. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you for the link! I sure hope it isn't that. Can a 3 week old develop Mareks? I thought it usually affects around the 3 to 4 month old range. I will get a better look at that eye in the morning to see if it really looks cloudy or if it was from the camera. I didn't notice it earlier though.I will keep you posted on what I find tomorrow.

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    They can get Merke's disease as early as 3 weeks of age. Try some antibiotics to see if it clears it up.

8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    How's your baby chick doing?

9. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Sorry, I didn't get back sooner. I think it is ear canker. His eyes look clear so I believe it was just the camera. I have been working to try to get the plug of gunk out of it's ears but it is hard becasue of how tiny he is. I got a good amount out tonight but there is still alot in there. I have been packing the ear with antibiotic ointment after removing the gunk. He is still very active and eating well. I hope I can get this cleared out for him.

10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by