3 week old chicks with frayed feathers

GreenMountain

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Hi All, I noticed today that a few of my 3 week old chicks feathers look funny. The new feathers that have come in on her wings and tail look all frayed. Normally each feather looks tidy and stuck together, but these feathers look like they are frayed. I wish I could explain this better...Anyone have ideas of what this could be?

I think this might be normal. reason I say this is when my chicks feathered out they looked the same way your describing. it should look better once they fully feather out. I know mine did. They can sure look scruffy when feathering. its so cute. my poor silkies looked pitiful when feathering then it all came to together nicely after a while. its fun to take pictures of each phase because they change so much. I wouldn't worry too much. it sounds normal to me. at least it was with my chicks. then as they fully feather it looks better. :) hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! I've raised chicks once before, but I don't remember seeing this. So far, they are still acting healthy, so I'll and not worry. Easier said than done!

Back
Top Bottom