3 week old Light Brahma - Gender???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sillyillyondra, Oct 14, 2013.

1. sillyillyondra

sillyillyondra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Orangevale, CA
    Can anyone settle my fears on my 3 week old Light Brahma (fingers crossed it's not a roo)? It has a very protective personality, Seems like it never sleeps because it always has a watchful eye on me. It often causes a big ruckus if I open or come near the brooder. It is the oldest out of 4 chicks ranging 3 days to 2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's way too young to say for sure. Brahmas can be slow to mature, I've seen pictures here of 4ish month old birds that turned out male where I couldn't tell for sure at that age.

3. Lynnae4913

Lynnae4913 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    High Springs, Fl.
    Sorry, I can't say for sure. I have 4 four week old Light Brahma babies hatched from my own hens and roo. The combs aren't helping me at all on this breed. 2 are bigger than the other 2. 3 have wing coloring that are different than one of the others. I'll be watching to see if anyone else answers your question. [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Too early to tell for sure. Post some more photos in a few weeks.

5. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Hmm, it could be a rooster by looking at its stance, but still could be a hen.

6. sillyillyondra

sillyillyondra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Orangevale, CA
    Thanks! I will post more pics in a couple weeks, get it's tail feathers in there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by