3 week old Muscovey can not walk please HELP!

raelee4

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 1, 2012
This duckling was perfectly fine until about a week ago. One evening I went to check on them and he was flopping to get around, the day before he was walking. There are no noticeable injuries of any sort. He was with the momma and 7 other ducklings. I have brought him in the house and he is in a large tote with pine chip bedding, water, baby duck food and a stuffed bunny. He is getting niacin, brewer's yeast and poultry booster . We have tried a hobble with vet wrap (didn't work well) and with a hair thingie and medical tape (was toooo tight). He gets physical therapy in the sink filled with water daily for approximately 20 minutes at a time. What else can we do????

Are his legs very warm to the touch? Any sort of swelling at all?

His legs are normal temp an a little bit of swelling in his "knees". They didn't start swelling until after he was lame for a few days.

There are no bands on his legs, are there? Sometimes they slide way up and cannot be seen, then cut off circulation to the legs.

There could have been a lower back injury - those take some time but can heal.

The hydrotherapy is an excellent thing.

When you say his legs stay at his sides, they are sticking out from the sides, not underneath?

See if this site gives you some ideas. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

hugs.gif

There are no bands. None of my ducks have had them.
His legs in the pictures above in the water look the same when he is sitting.
I am really at a loss of what more to do. Everything I have read says it has to be treated immediately for it to fix and it has been almost 2 weeks.
Thank you for that site! It has a lot of good information!

Back
Top Bottom