3 week old "Mutt" Chickens - What gender?

jmkrusch

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 7, 2015
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me sex these chicks. We tried our luck hatching chicks this year and ended up with two little ones. The father is a missed breed which includes barred (little bit of bantam, and something else that gives him feathers on the sides of his legs). The mom is unknown - could be one of any number of chicks (note: we do not have any white leghorns though).

That said, here are the two chicks at 3 weeks old. I am pretty sure the first is a hen, but I am worried the second is a roo (praying she isn't though - already have two roos and one isn't that friendly)

Suspected Roo

I am hoping that maybe the mom is just different as she has been slightly larger than the 1st one since hatching. I do note that the feet are also larger than #1.

Thanks for the help!

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me sex these chicks. We tried our luck hatching chicks this year and ended up with two little ones. The father is a missed breed which includes barred (little bit of bantam, and something else that gives him feathers on the sides of his legs). The mom is unknown - could be one of any number of chicks (note: we do not have any white leghorns though).

That said, here are the two chicks at 3 weeks old. I am pretty sure the first is a hen, but I am worried the second is a roo (praying she isn't though - already have two roos and one isn't that friendly)

Suspected Roo

I am hoping that maybe the mom is just different as she has been slightly larger than the 1st one since hatching. I do note that the feet are also larger than #1.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry to say but the second one, in my opinion is a cockerel!

Darn it... That's what I was thinking too - just hoping that maybe one of the mom breeds might have a tendency to be larger with red combs early (because most of our hens do have red combs as adults), or that maybe the bantam from the father had a larger roll on the first hen then the second.

Thanks though,

Doesn't really matter. Pullets don't start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying age, regardless of the breed or parentage. A 3 week old chick is nowhere near being ready to lay.

Huh - learn something new every day :)

Thanks anyways... Hopefully this guy is friendly and gets along with the other roos otherwise we may have to find a new home for him

Huh - learn something new every day :)

Thanks anyways... Hopefully this guy is friendly and gets along with the other roos otherwise we may have to find a new home for him

Not to get your hopes up but I was one of the lucky ones that had suspect combs and wattles early on but still turned out to be a hen. That being said, 3 weeks is still pretty early for combs to get that red. I ended up keeping mine and monitoring her progress. Her face looked like a cockerel but her feathering looked like a hen in the end, and everything evened out eventually.

Not sure if that helped any but Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom