3 Week Old Mystery Breeds

iowacricket

Chirping
Oct 6, 2020
Eastern Iowa
New chicken mom here! We picked up our chicks three weeks ago from Sand Hill Preservation Center and they gave us five extras (only ordered four) since they knew we wouldn't be able to keep any roosters. These were hatched a few days early and, while it might be too early to tell, I figured you all might have some ideas (sex guesses welcome too).

CHICK #1 - Black Australorp?
20201026_172426.jpg

CHICK #2 - we think this is the same breed as chick #1 but little tail feathers, so maybe cockerel?
20201026_180849.jpg

CHICK #3 - White Rock?
20201026_181317.jpg

CHICK #4 - Lavender Ameraucana?
20201026_184057.jpg

CHICK #5 - Erminette or splash something?
20201026_171554.jpg

Looking again the white one has white earlobes? White rocks have red ear lobes so might be a leg horn. Not sure what breeds the hatchery has where you purchased them.

I believe what you are seeing as white earlobes is the ear fluff. They will not be getting white earlobes at this age - they barely have earlobes.
My eyes are telling me the white chick has pinkish feet, not yellow.
I agree with Aussie.
I also thought Austra or California White for the last bird.

It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

I believe what you are seeing as white earlobes is the ear fluff. They will not be getting white earlobes at this age - they barely have earlobes.
My eyes are telling me the white chick has pinkish feet, not yellow.
I agree with Aussie.
I also thought Austra or California White for the last bird.

It will be interesting to see how they turn out.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the earlobe colors.
Sand Hill doesn't have Austra or California Whites, so I don't think it could be either of those, but I'll just have to wait and see!

Back
Top Bottom