3 white geese

Gacho

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
I just inherited my neighbor's three white geese, don't know the breed name yet. They are a Gander, a Goose and their Goose daughter. I have some questions;

If they hatch more eggs and I get more Ganders is there going to be a conflict with the dad?
If the daughter lays eggs, I pull them, right? because incest is NOT best? or do they do that in the wild anyway?
Do they pre-sex goslings like they do chicks?
If they do, is it better for me to just get some little girls and sneak them into the nest like you do chickens to avoid any boyfights?

I'd appreciate any info anyone has.

They do pre-sex goslings, some breeds at some places. I might guess that if all your geese are white they could be embden, they're a common breed and they're all white.

Quote:
Will there be conflict? When your new ganders are mature, yes. Is that necessarily a bad thing? No. Ganders will compete during the breeding season -- and to a lesser extent outside of it -- but it's not the end of the world. They're a very social bird and developing, maintaining and changing their gaggle hierarchy is a very normal part of their interactions.

If the daughter lays eggs, I pull them, right? because incest is NOT best? or do they do that in the wild anyway?

In no class of livestock is Father-Daughter offspring considered incestuous. Incest is a human concept. It is up to you if you allow them to breed, but if you do it would be considered line breeding, a "mild" form of inbreeding, a generally accepted practice in goose -- and other livestock -- breeding.

Do they pre-sex goslings like they do chicks?
If they do, is it better for me to just get some little girls and sneak them into the nest like you do chickens to avoid any boyfights?

Some places do, some places don't. Most that do require that you purchase sexed goslings in pairs, not just females. Geese can be reared in ratios up to 1:1 or down to 1:5, gander:geese. So if you want to bring in more geese from the outside sexed pairs shouldn't be a problem for you.

Being white doesn't really narrow down the breed of your current geese much. Embdens are very common, but so are White Chinese. Between these two distinguishing them should be very simple. Embdens do not have knobs above their bills, White Chinese do. Romans are also white as are most Sebbies. And then there are the Pilgrim, Shetland and Cotton Patch that are white but with some grey markings.​

I looked them up and yes, they are Embdens. Thank you so much for all of the information, it helps me alot.

Back
Top Bottom