3 wk old chick bloody vent **GRAPHIC PICS** (please don't look if you faint easily)

WooingWyandotte

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Arkansas
I'll get right to the point - went outside, checked on chicks, found bantam with bloody vent. It looks as if she is trying to poop something out.
I have her in a box with pine shavings and some food & water. Currently on Med. Chick starter, fresh water morning and evening. Just today we put her and her buddies outside for playtime in a little movable run.

Is it inside or on the outside of the vent?

Does it look like an injury or an internal bleeding thing?

Did you perform general first aid (clean and inspect, try and stop bleeding, etc.)?

How long ago did this happen?

I'll be honest, I'm not the best person to give advice, but lets try and get some general info so that when someone who knows there stuff shows up they can get right to it.

I've been inspecting it and it looks internal. There is no wound or anything outside of the vent, but blood comes out little by little from the inside. Plus, the upper vent is swollen a bit and purple.
No I have left it alone, not sure if that's the right thing to do, but as there was no wound I could see, I let it be.
This happened about half an hour ago.

Update:

She just pooped a normal looking poop with no blood on it...so it might not be internal? And suddenly she's acting all normal, scratching around and moving. Whereas a few minutes ago she was lethargic.
My brother thinks she was constipated, is that possibly true?

As of this morning, she's fine.

The swelling went down and she's pretty much normal...except there is still blood coming out of it.

Vets around here don't think so much about chickens. I'm on my own - never have taken a chicken to the vet and probably never will.

Besides - I like doing the stuff by myself.

Back
Top Bottom