3 wk old chicks laying down and exposing their body...flashing or something else?

Leavingegypt

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Until the coop is ready, I take my chicks (3 weeks old) outside for some fresh air and play. They are in an enclosure in the grass. I noticed that one of BO pullets started laying down on her side, stretching her wing out and exposing her body. I watched her, thinking that something might be wrong. Eventually one of her buddies flapped over her and she got up. I thought, "That's weird." Then I noticed my one cockrel do the same thing. These two did this off and on for the first 5 minutes of their outside time, then they got up and flapped, played, chased bugs, scratched etc. just like my other 4 chicks.
What's up with that? Were they hot? Enjoying the sun? Catching a breeze? Testing poses for an upcoming edition of Chicks Gone Wild? We live in GA and the temp outside is about 80-85 today.

Last edited:
They were just enjoying themselves and probably taking in some sun. My chicks like to do that too, especially the Frizzles.
wink.png

Dust bath, perhaps? My Buff Orp did that too and my mom (who has raised hundreds of chicks) had a mini-heart attack thinking the World's Sweetest Chicken was having a seizure and dying right in front of her. Upon closer examination, and watching 3 other chicks begin to do the same exact thing the lightbulb went off and that was totally what they were doing. Sounds close to what yours was doing!

Yes they do this somethings. Just stretching and enjoying the sun. We sometimes have periods of several weeks without the sun. When the sun comes out after one of these cloudy spells I see a lot of the birds stretching out their wings and absorbing the sun.

Back
Top Bottom