3 year old Golden Sexlink Lethargic and has Scaly Leg Mites

Shadowglare

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
I've been fighting this thing for a month and a half. Been putting Vaseline everyday except once a week when I use cooking oil on their legs. I just started doing the hydrogen provide since my chicken is being very lethargic.
She was only going into the run once or twice a day, I personally didn't see her eat when she was out there. She was staying in the coop for most of the last 3 days.
Could it be the mites affecting her?
I just got her in a animal carrier for medium dogs, has tuna mixed with a little bit of save-a-chick with some feed. Now she's eating it and taking small drinks of water as well. Which now im happy she's eating but she's just not herself. Hasn't crowded since the day before she started acting sick. Also her legs don't even look as bad as her two sisters, (Golden sexlink who was from the same batch of girls her legs are the worst of them and same age but Rhode Island Red I got a 7 months later who is now also 3.)
I can take photos if needed.

Photos of the hen, her poop and legs would be helpful.

Is she getting run away from feed? It sounds like she has an appetite once separated out.
I'd work on hydration and then see if she will eat her normal feed.

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight, look her over for any lice or mites on the body too.

You don't mention is she lays eggs...

Photos of the hen, her poop and legs would be helpful.

Is she getting run away from feed? It sounds like she has an appetite once separated out.
I'd work on hydration and then see if she will eat her normal feed.

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight, look her over for any lice or mites on the body too.

You don't mention is she lays eggs...
Just to clarify none of my ladies have laid for a week. Which has been normal this year. I did check before making this to see if she was egg bound. Checked this morning and she had a full Corp, but it was filled with water and it was clear. She was regurgitating right when I was going to take the photo. I helped her empty it.

Attachments

• 20240525_085144.jpg
    20240525_085144.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240525_085402.jpg
    20240525_085402.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240525_085543.jpg
    20240525_085543.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 3
Checked this morning and she had a full Corp, but it was filled with water and it was clear. She was regurgitating right when I was going to take the photo. I helped her empty it.
I'd be careful emptying the crop, you risk her aspirating fluids.

Address the crop symptoms according to the article below. I'd make food/water available.

I don't see any indication of SLM on the legs/feet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom