3 Year Old Isa Brown-Lethargic with Sudden Curled Toes?

SaraBethChickenLady

In the Brooder
May 8, 2018
Rewind 15 days ago..I found Maria (my Isa Brown) very cold and under a wheelbarrow not moving at all. She had been missing for 2 days and the temp was in the 30’s. I brought her in and slowly warmed her up and she started coming back to life.
I started “Hyrdo-Hen” from tractor supply and have kept her inside since. I have also been feeding her sugar water, sweet potato baby food mixed with chicken feed (I made a mash of it) and have started Poly-Vi-Sol once a day.
She has made major improvements but I am wondering now if I am just prolonging an older chickens death?
She was not using her feet or legs at all until 5 days ago. Her toes have been curled under but now one foot is straightened out. She is still very unsteady but will not take more than 2-3 steps at a time.
I still have her inside isolated from the others incase of disease. Her comb is still bright red, tail up, no grey eyes and is now feisty when I pick her up. She is also sitting up now.
Is there anything I should be doing but am not? Or am I just prolonging a dying chicken?
I checked a few days after I found her to see if she had an egg stuck and she did not.

I have made a call to our vet for advice & am waiting to hear back.. I am attaching pictures in case it helps.
043BA91A-D536-41B3-B3E2-7A8269A61B8B.jpeg
264D1180-6084-421F-8925-48296FD2AEB9.jpeg
9441DF0A-B688-4AE0-8C9A-6BFC52A61497.jpeg
A2EB2CA0-FA41-47B3-BF5D-0AD70F9E3BAD.jpeg

the curled toes usually means there cold but shes making amazing leaps of improvment. keep doing what your doing. its working awesome:)

My hen had a heat stroke and her toes have been curled ever sense... she is still able to move around completely fine. I think yours will make a recovery. I am not familiar with frostbite or what temperature causes it but could possibly be that... I do know that chickens recover from frostbite as well.
Good job and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom