3 year old Moscovy with drooping wings!

TheSmallestEgg

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Oswego, New York
Hi there.
My 3 year old Moscovy drake starting drooping his wings today. From what I understand, Angel Wing commonly occurs before 3 months of age and mostly in 1 wing.
He doesn't seem to be acting differently at all. If he continues to do this tomorrow, Im going to put him inside. In the meantime, what can cause this? I'm worried about him, he's a dear pet. For context, he's around other drakes and hens but they really don't fight, so I don't see an injury being the case. Also, I clipped one of his wing's flight feathers 2 weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

What do you mean drooping? Could you post a video of it?

It won't let me post a video but here are a few pictures. Hes basically super ruffled and dragging his wings.
20210118_123240.jpg
20210118_123230.jpg

I think it would be best that you bring him in soon, get an accurate weight on him, and examine him further. If you get him inside, with each wing gently pull it outwards and release with your hand, and see if he is able to retract that normally, or not. Wing drooping in young birds oftentimes just signifies the growing pin feathers on the wings are putting too much weight on the bones, but with a bird this old, it is likely an indicator of illness. The overall ruffled look could be a sign of him trying to maintain metabolic heat.

As a further note, please don't justify not taking him inside just yet solely because he doesn't "act" sick. Birds are the masters of what's known as the masking phenomenon. In the wild, predators often take out the sickest, weakest looking bird. They know this and often have the extreme ability to hide their symptoms until they are in a critically severe state.

As a further note, please don't justify not taking him inside just yet solely because he doesn't "act" sick. Birds are the masters of what's known as the masking phenomenon. In the wild, predators often take out the sickest, weakest looking bird. They know this and often have the extreme ability to hide their symptoms until they are in a critically severe state.
Thank you! I'll bring him in. What do you think it could be? What else can I look out for?

Thank you! I'll bring him in. What do you think it could be? What else can I look out for?

Hard to tell without information regarding physical findings. In addition to the wing reflex test, I would check his feces, and post a few pictures here. Feeling his crop area, and the abdominal area may prove useful in determining if there is an apparent problem.

Hard to tell without information regarding physical findings. In addition to the wing reflex test, I would check his feces, and post a few pictures here. Feeling his crop area, and the abdominal area may prove useful in determining if there is an apparent problem.
Im sorry I got caught up yesterday. Hes able to pull back his wings with no problem. They kind of just bounce back as they should. Yesterday they sort of just returned to that lowered position instead. Hes been in today and looks super streamline again. I'm not sure what the problem was yesterday but im continuing to monitor him.

Back
Top Bottom