31 week old australorp - no eggs

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
We have two 31-week-old australorps and a Amerecauna about the same age. So far the australorps are not laying eggs at all. I have checked them over and there is no sign of parasites. They are fed a 20% all- flock feed with oyster shell freely available.

The coop is cleaned every day. The egg boxes are also clean. They have a 600 ft² run that they have access to. I check the run and the egg boxes every day and so far only sweetie is laying eggs. I love her beautiful blue eggs. But when can I expect the australorps to start laying?

Have you noticed them dropping their feathers? If yes they are molting and during this period they do not lay eggs. Otherwise they feel winter is coming and they may start laying eggs in the Spring. Remember, that sometimes if they are molting you could see eggs after they finish molting even if winter has come.

Have you noticed them dropping their feathers? If yes they are molting and during this period they do not lay eggs. Otherwise they feel winter is coming and they may start laying eggs in the Spring. Remember, that sometimes if they are molting you could see eggs after they finish molting even if winter has come.
They aren't molting as far as I can tell. My amerecauna is laying about 6 eggs a week. I thought that Australorp lay in winter in Florida? We are still very warm and sunny right now.

They aren't molting as far as I can tell. My amerecauna is laying about 6 eggs a week. I thought that Australorp lay in winter in Florida? We are still very warm and sunny right now.
Some chickens may take as long as 8 months to start laying eggs I had a hen that started laying eggs at 8 months of age although most chickens should have laid many eggs already by this time.

What do their combs look like, are they bright red and enlarged?

I have 4 Dominiques that are 28 weeks old. Three are either at POL or have started laying, their combs are bright red and swollen. The 4th pullet, same age, same hatch, has a pink comb, and it's small. I expect she'll mature in her own time. She's on the far right in the photo:

IMG_20231004_151433798~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom