31 weeks now:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roocrazy, Nov 19, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    layer feed for a week already. no eggs. maybe there is something wrong with there system?

2. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Misery loves company right? My hens are about that age, if not older, and nothing. I have three... one is laying nearly every day, the other two that are both buff orps, are not laying at all. [​IMG] Its weird... and to be honest, they're the biggest eaters, too. [​IMG]

But the forum will be able to give you a better idea if you give more info-- such as set up, diet and breed.

3. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Our Cochins are 27 weeks old and we got a soft shelled egg this week but no other eggs.
    Our Sumatras are even older than that and they are not laying.
    Ameraucanas take to 24 weeks or longer to start laying.

What breed to you have? Do you have a dim light on at night giving some extra light?
    Give it some time and you should see eggs soon.

4. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I have an Ameraucana so this would make sense. I believe she began laying, albeit pathetically, at about 20 weeks. She's absolutely enormous now-- very tall, wild plumage, and strangely enough very much looks like a rooster! She's the most dominant chicken I have... she even ...er...."goes to town" on my roo...he's such a wimp.

5. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i have a new hamp, red sex link and rock all from a hatchery and yes i have artificial light and additional snacks too

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A few years ago I had had to wait till December for 2 to start laying at 32 & 35 weeks. It will happen.
    In the meantime are you sure there are no hidden eggs? My current hens are burying their eggs every other day.

Imp

7. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:ya im sure

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I had a barred rock that took 35 weeks before she gave me her first egg. Don't give up! [​IMG]

9. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Laying is like puberty , you never know when it's coming ......

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by