32 hens and 2 eggs a day!!!! HELP!!!!!

mattcarlson57

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 26, 2010
To explain my story, we have 32 hens and 2 roosters, this started as a pet project for the kids and absolutely blew up!!!! I have 5 late addition hens that are probobly still just a hair young to lay but getting close to that 5-6 month mark, 20 came from a CL ad were laying all summer and some started to moult, she told me she was still getting 6-7 eggs a day, the other few chickens are my original ones from spring and do not appear to be in any stage of moult. I feed them about a 75/25 20% pellet/corn they always have water, the coop is large enough according to any specifications i have read. I have not had a heater out yet but as its supposed to freeze tonight ill probobly start putting it out tonight. Yet I am only getting 2-3 eggs a day. What can i try to do to increase my egg output!!!! help!!

thanks in advance
Matt

your not as bad off as me..... 75 chickens and maybe 15 eggs a day.
i have the most colorful, lazy chickens.
eventually some that are not heavy will get their wings clipped. but i got one little bantm who i did cut her wing (just 1) and she is soooo smart. she CLIMBS out of the pen. she walks up the side of the fence and still flaps. -shakes head- once it couldn't get back in one day and almost died from dehydration. i put her in chicken jail to sometime to make sure she is laying.... but they go out and hide them....

if you recently aquired these hens, it could be stress-related...sometime it takes a while for the hen to get adjusted to new surroundings.

lighting for 16 hrs or so may help w. egg production if you wanted to 'force' it... ( i personally,don't).

2/30 is indeed a worrisome ratio.

try using a layer ration....

that is about all i can think of... hope it helps.

Egg production has everything to do with light and the pituitary gland. Less light in fall/winter, less eggs. Every fall chickens go into a moult(lose they feathers and get new ones). They won't typically lay during this time. anywhere from a month to three. Older chickens may not lay till spring.

Lice or mites will cause less egg production. Stress is more than likely the reason though.

Lay off the corn. Its not a beneficial treat. BOSS is one better option. Crushed oyster shells should be available.

do they have light
sometimes u need to have light when the season wanes
try putiny a light in the coops all day and night
for many breeds stop or reduce egg production when the weather changes and less light in a day

Do you guys use a heat lamp 24/7? It is dipping below freezing tonight and curious if I need a heat lamp or just a light...

Back
Top Bottom