3D Modeling for Coops (& appliances)

Pics

WesleyBeal

Chirping
Nov 28, 2016
Douglas County, Minnesota
I recently created a (rough) 3D model of a Woods style coop in SketchUp. Link to it below.

First though, for the uninitiated, SketchUp is 3D modeling software. The non-pro version, SketchUp Make, that is free for personal use.
http://www.sketchup.com/

Link to download SketchUp Make:
http://www.sketchup.com/download?sketchup=make

3D modeling software can require a fair amount of computing power. Nowadays, most all fairly-new computers will meet the minimum system requirements in order to operate the software effectively.

If you aren't sure if yours does, there is a "SketchUp Checkup" program you can run to find out:
http://help.sketchup.com/en/sucheck

You may find that once you start using 3D models for building projects, you're hooked, and find them essential.
Have a good model is like have a good set of drafting plans, souped up with modern tech.

Besides being able to view each part of your project, and how it comes together, you can have a look at things like how the sun will hit your building on any given day or time of the year.

People can be intimidated by the learning curve. I know I was. The good news: it is fairly easy to learn *just enough* to be able to get a look at things.

There is also a lot of instruction available. Just search the internet, and you'll find plenty of articles and videos explaining how to do different things.

SketchUp is the program I know about. If there are others, please let me know!

I think that having a good repository on this forum of actual coop plans, above and beyond all the great pictures and descriptions that are already available, would be a huge asset.

I'm writing this post in hopes that maybe others agree, and would like to contribute to the effort.

I've already posted links to the (very) (rough) plan for a chicken coop I put together on 2 other threads, but I think that 3D modeling is enough it's own subject, that I've started a new thread on it.

So here again is a link to the (again, very rough) plan for a chicken coop I adapted from the design from chapter 6 (p. 59+) from "Open-air Poultry Houses for All Climates: A Practical Book on Modern Common Sense Poultry Housing for Beginners and Veterans in Poultry Keeping. What to Build and how to Do It. Houses that Will Promote Health, Vigor and Vitality in Laying and Breeding Stock"
google ebook link: https://books.google.com/books/about/Open_air_Poultry_Houses_for_All_Climates.html?id=o08PAAAAYAAJ

Here's a link to the SketchUp model:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=e0da2445-ad99-4787-8811-a2334c967353

While that link will show you an image of my design, to really see it you have to download and install the software.
http://www.sketchup.com/download?sketchup=make

I know for myself, having a good model will help me immensely when I build a new coop.

Are others either already familiar with making 3D models, or interested in learning how, and willing to start putting some of these coop designs together?

If so, please reply to this thread with your thoughts, and we'll find out if this is something the community is interested in.

I love SketchUp and have been using it for a while now. My undergrad degree is in architecture, so prior to this i did all my plans by hand. This is so much easier, and fairly intuitive to use/learn.

I did my entire coop and run (plus next year's addition) on it.

When a coop is broken down into its simplest form out it is a room with small openings for ventilation and access. That would be easy to model and look at air flow. Might do it for my coop and see what can be determined, I have done flow analysis before, not sure on how hard the humidity is to stimulate. Chickens can be put in the model as a point heat source.

6 eggs a day in what part of the year? Hahahaha!!
Sorry, am battling unrealistic customer expectation in this slow part of the year.
I have 20 pullets/hens and only got 4 eggs yesterday....but once spring is sprung may get up to 16 a day on average. Eggs are a somewhat seasonal food...with big ebbs and flows..depending on management.

What I've learned is that having separate coop areas, and run areas, is most beneficial when breeding.
Even just for replacement birds you need(IMO) at least 2 spaces to brood/grow out chicks....
.....if crossing multiple birds and/or breeds that can go up exponentially.

So don't think about just size, but flexibility in separating spaces and your access to them.
I planned one separate space, made with a temporary wall, and built in an extra human door to access it.
Was one of my best design decisions.....and now wish that space could be bigger(for my access) and that I had room for more separate spaces.

I use both 2d and 3d to develop design concepts, some things are just easier and more clear using 2d.
A lot of my consulting work has just been making 3d models from 2d drawings for clients who can't 'see' an orthographic 2d drawing.
Always very satisfying to show a client a 3d model and see 'the light come on'...made many projects so much easier.
Have done dozens of projects emailing screen shots of 3d models and dimensioned 2d drawings, throw in a few phone calls and then off to the fabricator.
<olddrafterdonebabbling>

I wish i could, as i do enjoy the design process even more than the building part. Unfortunately, the one thing i am lacking recently is "time". Between work, a patio rebuild, coop addition, a side business building poker tables, and kids in "club" sports, I haven't had time to do the things i NEED to get done, must less the things i WANT to get done. Things slow down in the summer, so maybe i'll have time then.

As far as modeling ventilation, are you referring to actual air flow paths? If so, no, i don't know how you could do that. I would think there would be too many variables to model something like that accurately, but i could be wrong.

Also, don't suppose you're aware of any way of modeling wind & ventilation? Sunlight is easy. If there were a way of modeling ventilation, it would be so informative...
There are engineering softwares out there that can do that (seriously doubt Sketchup can do it) but probably not attainable to the backyard chickeneer or a home based cadd operator.

I have been lurking for a while and have used AutoCAD to design parts of my coop. Currently have 6 pullets and a roo surviving there first winter in the UP MI. Planning on a complete redesign this spring.

If you want to look at heat and flow simulations you can do it in COMSOL or Solidworks. Working at a university most of these very expensive tools are free to use and can import most CAD models if made in other software. Not that I have the time to do the simulation, those would be the options that might help.

http://solidworksreselleregsindia.blogspot.com/2015/05/hvac-using-solidworks-flow-simulation.html

That looks really good (sketch that is). I started out trying for something similar and quickly threw in the towel and reached for the graph paper. Your efforts show it is entirely possible.

You are correct about the awkward size as drawn. To conform with the Woods coop dimensions, to achieve the dead air space in the back at the roost level, the enclosed coop area needs to be narrower. I never showed the front elevation, but I'd make it 45 inches wide, to allow a person to use a single sheet of plywood for the roof. At 45 inches, it allows for 3 inches of overhang on the sides or 1 1/2 inches per side to allow for trim boards. The coop overall can be left as 6 1/2' x 6 1/2', with the side to left when facing it from the front left as open sided screened in run. Pop door as shown allowing entry to it. Water and feed in the run. Put an entry door into the run on the end of the screened in area. Entire area of run and area beneath the coop screened in and available as run. Leave the roof lines as is. I would only want to have two windows.

Or simply narrow it up and skip the run entirely. Again, this is only intended to be a compact, backyard house for about 4 birds. Enough birds for a dozen eggs a week. Same purpose as the dinky death traps a lot of folks get tricked into buying, but actually suitable for 3 or 4 birds. As such, the run would be a nice addition, but not essential.

Cool! Having fun?

Yeah, a bit.

Thinking I can get this fully designed, complete with a list of the hardware and lumber needed, and a cut-list. Then maybe hopefully someone will build it.

I'm one of those people that don't really belong here - I belong more on the www.non-commercial-small-farm-chickens.com site, so don't have much need for a coop for 6 chickens. But I like the idea of helping come up with something that will work for others, that doesn't suffer the pitfalls of the small coops out on the market today, that a person can build themselves with nothing more advanced than a circular saw, for a whole lot less money than those other coops.

Back
Top Bottom