3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
As soon as I could tell she was glued to herself I sta:laurted getting her bath tub ready. I just sat in front of a movie and soaked her, rubbed her, soaked her, rubbed her. Super glue could learn a thing or two from egg goo! That is some seriously sticky stuff!

Thank you, Michelle, for telling me to do it right away. I took her into a small bathroom I had steamed, with heater set at 90* (the hottest it would go), and gently worked to get the gunk off. She only had one wing, and I considered culling her, but I've seen some amazing "challenged" birds on here, so I continued bathing. After about 15 minutes I realized that her right wing (the one she was missing) was completely glued to her head! No wonder she couldn't get out by herself. I continued soaking, dabbing, rubbing, repeat, and finally got her wing loose, which she is able to move, although I think she may need some physical therapy later
hu.gif
. She is really strong, and COMPLAINED the whole time I worked on her. Blow dried her partially and stuck her back in bator for much deserved rest. Can't decide if I should call her Sticky, Trouble or Rocky!
lau.gif

Shelly?

I just combined eggs that were set 5 days apart so I can put today's eggs in a LG that is already heated and ready to go. Now I just need to remember which ones to put on lockdown and which to leave in a turner on Thursday. I've never done staggered hatches before. More eggs coming in a couple days (with long holiday weekend again).

Pulled all the chicks that were ready: 12 silkies, 1 marans. Not much activity in the rest of my silkie eggs but the marans are pipping and zipping. I will give them an extra couple days, I think I give up too soon sometimes.

Quote:
Not yet
th.gif
That's me wore out from running back and forth
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
I'll go check again
gig.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Still no but I'm sure they will
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
They had perfect air cells when I locked them down and were moving and active soooo
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Quote:
Wow, thank you for showing the eggtopsy photo. I haven't done that yet..... I'm too..... um......... chicken
hide.gif

I always do it, only because I think I can learn from it. I'd rather know what went wrong when than guess. My two eggs left in the incubator, one was pretty far along but died and was starting to rot blech and another one like the dead one already shown, but no blood. Just never pipped. It was supposed to be a showgirl but it appeared to be non-NN so it was just a silkie. And since I was going for showgirls, I'm not too sad. I always eggtopsy within the confines of a ziploc bag, though, just in case there's an odor. The odor will always put me over the edge of vomiting, but never the looks.

Quote:
YW. I have more pics of it, but they're quite graphic so I didn't post them. Didn't know if anyone would be offended or not so I erred on the side of caution.
hide.gif

I always look to help learn
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
I had a bantam polish chicklet pip through a vein on Christmas Day. It seemed perfectly formed to when I took it out of it's shell. It's sibling on the other hand hatched with a cross beak and passed two days later. It never once peeped or chirped at all. It showed no interest in food or water either. They were the only two out of twelve that made it to lockdown. The other eggs were so very badly caked in "dirt". I have never received such poor quality eggs before!
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Quote:
I always open unhatched eggs too and I'm with you on the odor part. Any egg that has a nice air cell, no smell and didn't hatch I open onto a paper plate, just peel it like you would a boiled egg. Any egg that has sloshy bits in it at lockdown I open outside over a paper plate.

Well, I may give it a try but I'm going to give my remaining eggs a couple days.

Tried a homemade incubator when I was a kid. Have no recollection of where the eggs came from but they rotted and exploded BLECH! That might be why I've hesitated on the eggtopsy procedure. I always hate it when pipped or zipped babies die.

Back
Top Bottom