3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Alright~ I have coturnix and button quail. Ducks too, but I the them bc I can never keep the water buckets clean and they're BANNED from my new coop. Tooooo nasty, sorry duck lovers but it's true.

I have 1 lonely turkey that sits on the roost and pecks me when I go get eggs. (Kinda off topic...)

I'll trade you some of my americauna eggs for some of yours. I dontcare if they have silkie in them, it means ill haveto be xtra careful.

I have heard many peopl do this, but is inbreeding god fo chicken genetics? Someone posted thy hada deformed chick... I wouldn't havethe heart to kill one bc its a handicap chick..

Aaanyways, if you like button quail, I'll trade you like two or three dozen for a dozen ofyour americauna or maran or silkie eggs when they start laying. The buttns have a really good survival rate, if u fees them right. I think I've lost maybe 6 tops after the first week. Just don't feed them anything besides game bird starter... learned that the hard way... I'll never buy chick starter again. But after 3 weeks u can feed them anything.

My mom would kick me if I go more wellsummers.. gorgeous birds and they lay well, but my 2 go on our front porch and just.. agh, they make the roosters sound patheric...

They soundlike theyre being strangled.

Well, I ended up with 6 Swedish Flower Hen babies! Each one is unique in their own way and I couldn't be happier!
celebrate.gif

Happy New Year everyone!

Quote:
Do me a favor and remind me in a pm in about a month. Nothing should be mixed right now. No one is laying. LOL I'm adding lights next week or the next after that, so hopefully just a little while after that and I'll see eggs again. I'd love some buttons. I had some with this hatch, but the PO decided to shake the heck out of them I think. Out of 20 something I had 8 that weren't smashed. I had oozing chicken eggs from the same shipment and they were packaged really well. That's something you have to concider too with shipping. The Post Office isn't always nice to hatching eggs. Just getting even a few though is usually worth it. Just so you know, most of my birds are very good quality, but my Silkies are only so so.

Local time is 10:28 pm

It's -8*F

I have 11 in the brooder
2 drying in the bator
2 more that look like they may make a break for it
and a couple more that could just be fashionably late
idunno.gif

We'll know more tomorrow, it's been a great first day of what will hopefully be a really good year. Glad I got to spend it with you'all. G'nite.

I am still waiting on one. I honestly thought I was through, and then heard "peep, peep". I checked and one more had pipped.
ya.gif
I keep going over and pecking on window and peeping at her to encourage her, since I took all the others out already. Hope she makes it, that would give me a 50% hatch.
fl.gif
But she's on her own tonight, I'm heading to bed.
th.gif

Quote:
Yes, it was a great first day of the year...even sunny here, too.

I am not going to sleep well tonight, though. I only have about half of my 21 eggs hatched but still see a pip or 2. I have the old Little Giant w/ 2 smallish windows as my hatcher, so it is hard to see pips. The already hatched little dickenses are making a terrific racket thrashing around in there knocking the other eggs about and who knows what-all other mischief they get into between times when I peer in with a flashlight! They must be healthy and they certainly are cuties! I keep getting up to check the temp in there because it was reading 102 for a while there a couple of hours ago. Possibly the body heat of the hatched chicks does that?? Anyway now I've gotten it reliably around 99 to 100 for the last hour or 2 so I think it is OK. Most only hatched since noon, and some just the last 2 hours so it is too early to open it and have the humidity plummet, I think.

What a fun day, now off I go to try to sleep...

Dragged sticky chick and one eyed chick out of the special needs incubator today - they are both very lively so giving them a shot in general population after splinting the splay legs. I think one eyed chick may have an eye under there somewhere, but maybe no eye slit OR maybe it's just pasted shut. I'll peek again in a bit once they settle. It's a BR roo so not heartbroken if he doesn't make it (ok, I'm bad I know).

Counting the eggshells.. I have...

One Turken (mine)
one EE (mine)
blue eggs from macopin farm - I think there were nine so missing a shell piece here:
bc group:4 (mixed EE, possible tufted)
b group:2 (mixed, possible pure)
P group:2 (pure araucana per seller)

BR:3
RIR:2

The rest I can't find the shell pieces for so they could be smushed to bits!
smile.png

Culled my pox chicken this morning. She wasn't getting any better and was still struggling to breathe...
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom