3rd day into incubation, this is hard!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Dec 23, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I'm only in the third day into incubation and I want to candle already, it's taking everything I've got not to touch the eggs. This is very exciting yet so hard not to mess with them!![​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's a big 10-4. But wait for day 10, unless you are really comfortable with candling eggs.

I keep my incubator(s) in the guest room; that way there is less chance of me seeing 'em and being triggered into wanting to mess with either the 'bators or the eggs!

(But I keep a calendar in plain sight AND a timer on my cell phone, set for candling dates, lockdown, and hatches.)

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    The temp is right at 99 to 99.5 and fluctuates between the two alot, I'm so nervous about it falling below or going above and cooking the eggs, this is alot more nerve racking than I thought.. [​IMG]

4. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:Sorry, but I had to laugh out loud when I read this.........this could have been me typing exactly the same thing about 10 days ago!!! I'm in the middle of my first incubating experience, and I was really surprised at how nervous I was - staring at and checking the bator every 10 minutes while I was home to make sure the temp hadn't done anything crazy. And wanting to candle the eggs every other day, and NOT being able to resist and then being worried because it really was too early for this newbie to really know what I was looking at. LOL

So, I do want to tell you that it does get easier. I came to trust my bator to do what it's supposed to do and not anything crazy, so I don't have to stare at it constantly. And I did candle the eggs again at 10 days along and saw all kinds of baby blobs swimming around inside lots of the eggs!!!!! And if that was not the coolest thing I've ever seen, I don't know what is. So now I'm just coasting along, and waiting until it's lockdown time and then I'm sure I'll be back to being a basketcase. [​IMG]

So hang in there and let us know how things are going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by