3rd Time Hatching(trying) And All Fuly Formed Dead But 5 Im Giving Up

jcfuente51

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
ok as many of you know im on my 3rd time incubating so today its day 22 and i knew something was wrong because my first 4 babys hatched well really well and fast on day 19 so i knew something was wrong
these are the times i have intented to hatch and fail !!

1st: 10 eggs thermometor off by 10 degrees so i treuw them out on day 10 finding in all blod rings. non made it to hatch
2nd:12 eggs higrometor was off high by 35% all my babys fully formed die most had cleat stuff in them like glue. 2 made it to hatch

so i was like oh well im goin to try agai i know my thermometor its reading correct and i have calibrated the hygrometor i was good to go but!.

3er:20 eggs i did the dry hattching as with no water the hygro was reading 45%-50% raiced it to 65%-70% for lockdown i decided to open them all shringwrap and with a 3rd of yolk that they didnt absorbed also i notice all my naked neck eggs were internal pip on the pointy end. "5 hatched"

sooooooooo since i was ready to incubate again , i already had 20 eggs for sunday to go in the bator i decided to stop the incubation my self i will put 10 naked neck eggs that i had save to put them under theyr own mom that today she hasnt left the nest so most likely shes gone broody again...

can anyone tell me what ihave done wrong that would make me incubate again???

i rally loved the 3 babys that did hatch on theyr own it was verry exited and fast i loved it and yes i could doit hundres times but at the same time im hearth broken that i have killed all those babys that could have been running in my backyard.

So sorry the hatching hasn't gone as well as expected.
hugs.gif

sad.png
i just look at the babys that did hatch and think darn it could of been 20 of them
idunno.gif
im trying verry hard...

Quote:
most of the babys were dead shringwrap i did save 3 that were also shringwraped but alive thoese are now verry acticve as mad of fact they are keeping me awake wit htheyr peps hhehehhe i also did save one naked neck he is still just laying there absorbing the last tiny bit of egg yolk but i think he would make it

i think my humidity during incubation was too low as i didnt add any drops of water but it was reading 45% and yes it has been calibrated and i know its reading just right and the humidity at the end was 65% i found them on day 22 all shringwraped 2 were alive still breading so i teard the membrane off for them to to bread and they are here alive and ready to go out of the brooder one nacked neck its figthing but like i said he most likely would be fine lets hope, i keep moisting his yolk that is still hanging but he has been absorbing it well lets hope he is up by morning...
smile.png

OHHH okay. Well shrink wrapping happens when the membranes dry tight around the chick caused by little humidity throughout the incubation period, not just lockdown. I dont know if this is what you have but it sounds like it. You could also have a sticky chick which occurs when the liquid in the egg dries around the chick forming a concrete glue like texture. This is caused by too little humidity during lockdown. If the chick was born very wet and sticky this is from too high humidity throughout the incubation.
If you catch these conditions in time, you can manually help the chick out by tearing away the membranes and keeping the chick damp or washing the gooey mess off.

These conditions also rely on the temperature being correct. Extreme fluctuations with your temperature can also cause the above conditions. However, your problem seems like a humidity issue. I could be wrong though.

Jc, sorry to hear things didn't go well for you. Once you figure your incubator out you should do better, so don't despair. You may want to invest in a better hygrometer, the one you have sounds suspiciously unreliable. And remember, none of those eggs would have hatched out anyway if you hadn't tried them in the incubator, they would have been cooked and eaten a long time ago!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Are you using one of the styrofoam incubators?? It sounds like all the problems I had when I first started out with the darn styrofoam bator!
duc.gif

You're definately having humidity problems.....as someone else mentioned...invest in a better hygrometer. Petco has an excellent reptile humidity guage that's spot on for around $8.

I hope you won't give up...even though I know how frustrating it can be! Keep a log & try to figure out what works for YOU....in YOUR climate...with YOUR equipment...then stick to it!!
smile.png

Sounds very like wrong RH - do not buy an electronic gadget, or even worse, a dial gauge (great for the glasshouse, where they should stay) - use either a wet-bulb or an accurate scale to judge weight-loss. All RH meters that cost less than a lot are extremely unreliable, on average - some people get lucky with a good one, many don't.

Pretty well all incubators will hatch well if run correctly. A friend used to custom hatch all types of eggs, in a variety of machines - several of the machines had been "thrown at him" because they "did not work" - actually, the people could not run them properly.

The incubation conditions for successful hatching are 101% identical, irrespective of where you live and where the eggs are incubated - what varies are the accuracy and reliability of the instruments used to set and run the incubator. Which is why I have nearly had fist fights with people who "know" that their chook eggs need 60% RH to incubate correctly when I have told them that they are way wrong.......

Page 6 and onwards - http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom