3wk old chick found out of cage - top layer of skin missing on thigh

keelinkiddos

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Moncks Corner, SC
I have a 3wk old mixed chick - came home yesterday to find it outside of the cage. Their cage is outside next to the big hens. We figured out how she got out and fixed it. She appeared fine so my son put her back in the cage. This evening I noticed her limping and took her out - she has a chunk of her top skin missing on her thigh - under her wing. So far, I have soaked it in warm soapy water, not sure what to do next. It's not life threatening by any means, but I'm sure it doesn't feel good. I have a picture, still figuring out how to post it.

Thanks in advance,

Here is a pic of my chicks injury.

31828_dsc00862_small.jpg

What a nasty injury. You've got the right idea about washing the wound. I would rinse the area with a diluted Betadine solution and apply an antibiotic ointment. Betadine should be only a day or 2 because it not only kills germs it also kills new skin cells. Continue washing with a mild soap and apply ointment 2 times a day. Give chick a lot of protein along with her regular food. I like to mix cottage cheese with scrambled egg. For one chick I would recommend a teaspoon twice a day. Helps heal them faster. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom