3yr old bday dilemma Opinions wanted plz

Ema

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
N. Ontario CANADA
My Ds is turning 3 on the 20th, My neighbours daughter is turning 3 on the 19th. My Neighbour sent me an invite via facebook and said she really hoped to see us there. Anyhow we got to talking and I mentioned how it would be great to have a joined bday party for both kids, I was simply seeing it as the fact that we are inviting the same people anyhow and both of them are only one day apart in birth dates. Well She said that she didn't mind and we should get together and discuss the plans etc.

Then today I was speaking with my dh and I realized I overlooked one very important factor, I didn't discuss it with my dh. In my defense I have been working a lot and then coming home to 2 sick kids, and I have had my hands full. Anyhow, Dh tells me having a joined party may be more convenient for us adults but looking at it from the kids point of view its really taking away from their very own special day. And that while sharing is a good things for kids that bdays should really be their own day.

Well Don't I feel like a huge lug now....

Is my Dh right?? Should I tell her how my dh feels and just have both parties a day apart?? or just go ahead and plan things out?? I should mention that this will be my son's first bday party where he will have little friends coming over and I am terrible at planning parties
barnie.gif

Ema,

I shared a lot of Child Hood parties with my sister, we are two weeks and 2 years apart. It was more convenient for my parents and honestly I really don't remember feeling bad about sharing the day. I think just once would be fine.

Well, at three years old I doubt it will bother the kids too much. I figure they will be paying a lot more attention to the cake and ice cream and playing with thier friends than the fact that they are sharing a bday party.

First, talking with someone does not require your dh's okay. Period. End of story. You are ALLOWED to have whatever conversations yo so choose.

HOWEVER, making birthday party plans IS someething that he shoudl be allowed to weigh in on, and for a 3 year old, he may have a valid point. It is important to ask you child HIS opinion on sharing his birthday party. For an older child it is DEFINITLYE doable, and can make the day even more special. For children that young, it really depends on each kid, and how close they are to the child who would be sharing the party.

thanks for your input. Really appreciated!!

LOL Sonoran Silkies I think you might have taken my post the wrong way lol. Dh and I talk about everything and he is not that type of person were I require permission to speak to someone. If he was he wouldn't be with me. ahahaha. We respect each other a great deal and always talk about everything but I've just been too ambushed by everything that I forgot to communicate with him and well he voiced his opinion and I do see his point. But I also think, and as how you guys pointed out, at three it will be ok if we just have it together. Plus I am also thinking it might be better for the guests too as they would be there for both instead of having to go to one on Saturday and then another one on Sunday.

anyhow I am yawning away here its midnight and I want to keep lurking through posts here on BYC but I don't know how much longer I can do it, lol. On the plus side I do not work tomorrow so I can sleep in a bit and then spend some time with my kids and my other fluffy kids too.

thank you for helping me make a decision, I was just going back and forth and back and forth after what Dh said and you know how it is after you question yourself too much, you have no idea which way to go. I think the kids will have a much better time together at this age anyhow
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Same thing with our family. My sister and I are almost two years apart, so our birthdays are only about 10 days apart. We had a lot of shared parties, and I don't recall feeling shorthanded by it. It was only when I was older that I began to notice those things.

At this age I would let it go.When the kids are older then you can give them a choice.

I agree. He's only gonna be 3. I doubt very seriously years form now he will bring it up and say he felt slighted by having to share his birthday. But in the future, definitely talk it over with DH!

I see his point and yours, too. The common guests you'd be inviting would probably appreciate a combined party day. That said, our family has combined birthday parties at times but only for those that were quite a bit older when birthdays weren't a big deal anymore, and then only with other family members.

Back
Top Bottom