4/5 month old rooster is having a hard time standing up and can’t keep balance

Bellalath

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2019
My ameraucana/ silkie rooster (Leo) has been having a hard time keeping his balance and keeps falling over every time he stands up and tries to walk. One of his eyes are also squinted. He’s been like this for the past couple of days and he is still drinking and eating like a pig. I’ve finally gotten my parents to let me take him to the vet to see what’s wrong, I’m not extremely educated with chickens but I love them so much and I’m extremely worried about him.
I read that it could possibly be either a disease or a sprained/ broken foot or leg. He doesn’t seem sick or dying but it’s still scaring me.
If anyone has any information on what it could be and how I can help it and skip a stressful and expensive vet trip, it would be so appreciated.

Attachments

• FEDA600B-B534-4128-9AF8-DD666ABDE01D.png
    FEDA600B-B534-4128-9AF8-DD666ABDE01D.png
    4 MB · Views: 15
He might have paralysis in the legs. Have you heard of marek’s disease? I would isolate him from the flock just in case he has marek’s because it is highly contagious and you can monitor him. If it’s not and he just has a broken leg or a sprain the vet will help you with that.

https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/mareks-disease-in-chickens

Read this and see if he has any symptoms. I would take him to the vet.

Hope this helps

I don’t think he has that but I’m really not sure, I’m just going to play it safe and take him into the vet. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom