4-5 week old pekin duck cant walk properly, not niacin

Ratsarefake

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
I have 2 pekin ducklings both the s am e age. One is a decent size bigger than the other and I'm pretty sure the bigger one is a drake and the smaller one is a duck.

When he walks both of his feet are on top of each other. It started about 2 weeks ago in both of them so I started brewers yeast in their food. The duck is finally and is having no problems but the bigger one has shown all most zero improvement. I feed them purina duck feed which has niacin and i sprinkle in brewers yeast. I don't think its a niacin deficiency and I can't find anything else that it could be. I let them swim in warm water 3 times a day, they always have food and water and clean bedding. Im not sure what else I c an do.

Attachments

• 20200920_145010.jpg
    20200920_145010.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 48
Sorry to hear about your duck.

What brand of brewer's yeast are you feeding her? At what dose? Could you post a video of the duck trying to walk? To post video you'll need to upload it a video platform like Yotube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here. Could you feel up and down her legs, and look for swelling, signs of discoloration, or warm spots? How do her footpads look? What kind of area is she being kept in during the day?

Sorry to hear about your duck.

What brand of brewer's yeast are you feeding her? At what dose? Could you post a video of the duck trying to walk? To post video you'll need to upload it a video platform like Yotube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here. Could you feel up and down her legs, and look for swelling, signs of discoloration, or warm spots? How do her footpads look? What kind of area is she being kept in during the day?

Felt his legs and felt nothing abnormal. Foot pads look normal, same as the healthy pekin. I have a dog cage that they have been in but they are so big now so I leave the cage open and they have like half of the room to walk around.

Kate naturals is the brand of brewer's yeast.

I have the same problem with one of mine from TSC. I don't think they feed them right from the start. As they get bigger it shows up and is more noticeable.

Felt his legs and felt nothing abnormal. Foot pads look normal, same as the healthy pekin. I have a dog cage that they have been in but they are so big now so I leave the cage open and they have like half of the room to walk around.

Kate naturals is the brand of brewer's yeast.

I asked the brand of Brewer's yeast because contrary to what a lot of sources say, there are several brands of Brewer's yeast that lack niacin, and from what it seems, the brand you have is one of them. Generally, Pekins requires around 70mg of niacin per kilo of feed. Purina Flock Raiser contains around 55mg per kilo, so the niacin content isn't really where we want it to be up to.

I would suggest reading this thread and proceeding with the treatment mentioned in it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I have the same problem with one of mine from TSC. I don't think they feed them right from the start. As they get bigger it shows up and is more noticeable.
I got all of my
I asked the brand of Brewer's yeast because contrary to what a lot of sources say, there are several brands of Brewer's yeast that lack niacin, and from what it seems, the brand you have is one of them. Generally, Pekins requires around 70mg of niacin per kilo of feed. Purina Flock Raiser contains around 55mg per kilo, so the niacin content isn't really where we want it to be up to.

I would suggest reading this thread and proceeding with the treatment mentioned in it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
I feed them purina duck feed its 65 so close to 70. I also put b3 vitamins in their water.

Back
Top Bottom