4-5 week old wyandotte, comb already turning pink?

cluck shmucks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
So, we bought 8 tiny pullets about 4 weeks ago, and all are different breeds. (We have two easter eggers, a speckled sussex, a russian orloff, ancona, welsummer, brahma, and a BLR wyandotte.) The wyandotte, who is also bigger than the rest of them, is a little more assertive--watches me a little differently too, was first to start flying up and sitting on the ledge of the trough they were in, and has somewhat thicker legs. I am paranoid that we may have a sneaky roo in the bunch, and I really do not want to do that again-- so I was trying not to get worked up about all of these things (had one before that we got attached to, and it was heartbreaking to have to get rid of, he turned aggressive at about 18 months, first toward me, and then started to beat up our pretty helpless silkie roo).

But then yesterday I noticed that "her" comb is looking pretty pink around the base. Not red enough that it would be likely to show up in a picture, but definitely a new pink hue that wasn't there before. I have never had a wyandotte before, (this is my second batch of chicks), so I have no idea if this is normal or not. I don't really see pink on any of the other chicks, but of course we have all different types of combs coming in here :D

I will try to get a picture, but does anybody have any idea if this is a sure sign of a developing roo? 4-5 weeks old, and turning pink? Eek! :(

Wyandottes will have thier combs turn red early. It's just a breed thing with them, and makes them more difficult to determine gender for early. Hatcheries also are not very careful with their personalities, and I have noticed that many produce aggressive Wyandottes. We had to get rid of a really nasty girl when we were starting out.

Oh no! Well, I have heard that wyandottes can be flighty and not friendly, but then also heard the opposite. This one seems very docile, (why I picked it, and it hasn't changed thus far) though not really friendly like the other chicks. I read that Anconas are skittish and aloof, but ours really likes to sit on my hands--in fact, once she's there, she fights to hang on if I try to put her back, lol. So, I guess, I take it all with a grain of salt. They are individuals! :) Hopefully, this wyandotte stays docile, is a hen, and does not get aggressive. Crossing my fingers!

Incidentally, this morning, I noticed one of the EE is turning pink too, so maybe it's just about that time... It just seems a lot earlier than the last batch of chicks, other than the roo... Do wyandottes start getting waddles early too? I think I see some pinkness coming through there too, though no extra skin just yet.

I have the same questions on my 5 week old Golden Laced. I just took pics of her. Her comb is starting to get a pinkish look but her wattles seem full blown red!

I check waddles more than comb for Wyandottes. I have an EE who is 1/2 Wyandotte who I'm watching right now. She has a pink comb but her waddles are iffy, and the pink hasn't gotten any darker over this week.

So, check the waddles.

So, if the comb turns pink, but fades a little it may still be a hen if the wattles aren't as prominent?

Lol, I think I'm just in denial..... mine are.barred rocks, about 5 weeks old now. I can see wattles, but the comb is changing color, pink, then later it doesn't look as pink, etc.

I agree the wattles are the ticket. A hen might have a pink tinged comb, but they do not grow in wattles until they are about to start laying...so if you see little wattle flaps along with reddish comb you are most likely looking at a cockerel

Back
Top Bottom