4 - 6 weeks old now -- standard brown egg layers -- ok to be outside?

sfchixn

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
I have 4 chicks ranging from 4 - 6 weeks of age, all healthy. Is it too soon to put them outside for NorCal? (San Francisco) I have them in their sheltered coop which is protected from wind inside, but basically open to the outside air temp.

Currently the temperatures is 65 degrees (at almost 7pm.)

The low has been 57 degrees at night. Highs are 65-75*F during day.

I think they should be fine. I put mine out anytime between 4 and 7 weeks. As long as they are feathered out, they should be warm enough. I live in southern CA and we are having fog, kind of cool, lows in the 50s as well, and they are totally good. Good luck!

Thanks CARanchGirl!

Yes, they've been outdoors running about during the day and loving it. I "weaned" them off the night/heatlamp a few weeks ago so they've been without light and heat during the night (although, indoors at night until today.)

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous even after the reassurances from yesterday. However, this morning I woke up and went out to the coop and the chicks were all fine and cheeping, waiting to be let out.

The low last night actually got down to 55.6*F.

Looks like 4 week olds are fine to put out in the coop in these temps!

It's ok to let them roam the yard at that age? I have some that are 3 months old them some a little younger that roam free right now. They go in the cage at night then out in the daytime. Tonight is the first night out for the chicks taht just hatched last month on the 26th. I usually keep them in longer put it's warm enough outside. It's 10;00 pm and 85 degrees outside. I'm sure they will be fine. No rain expected for a week. I'm more worried about leaving my AO's out of their cage. The roo wants to challange any chicken taht goes near him or his hen. They are only 3 months old too but smaller. It must be the BAntam in him that makes him want to fight. The others are much bigger than he is and i don't want him hurt. So the only time they get out is when I have the time to sit out with them and supervise..

It's ok to let them roam the yard at that age? I have some that are 3 months old them some a little younger that roam free right now. They go in the cage at night then out in the daytime. Tonight is the first night out for the chicks taht just hatched last month on the 26th. I usually keep them in longer put it's warm enough outside. It's 10;00 pm and 85 degrees outside. I'm sure they will be fine. No rain expected for a week. I'm more worried about leaving my AO's out of their cage. The roo wants to challange any chicken taht goes near him or his hen. They are only 3 months old too but smaller. It must be the BAntam in him that makes him want to fight. The others are much bigger than he is and i don't want him hurt. So the only time they get out is when I have the time to sit out with them and supervise..

Back
Top Bottom