4 bantam Chickens - Should i introduce ducks?

JeniB

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
So I currently have 4 bantam chickens who have a coop and a run, though they spend a majority of their time free range in the garden. I only leave them shut in their run if it is bad weather or no one is around.

I would like to introduce 2 ducks (possibly Campbells?) but am wondering if they would sleep in the chickens coop, or should they have their own coop for nights and a fenced off section to leave them in when I am not around? I know that ducks will need some water so would have a little pond/paddling pool in the garden for them (away from the chickens coop so they wont get upset with getting wet and muddy!) but would they be ok out and about in the garden together during the day?

Might seem a silly question but if I got the ducks their own house would they go in there, or would the chickens and the ducks get confused whose house was whose?

Any advise would be much appreciated!
smile.png

My ducks do just fine with the bantams. in fact they are hen pecked by them LOL. But the ducks tend to do their own thing some nights they are out foraging at 2 in the morning or going for a bath in the kiddie pool. they do not roost and prefer to find a lil dry corner in the coop where they can huddle and sleep. Hope this helps.

I have 30 chickens with 33 ducks in the barn together. Right away there was a bird war but now they seem to ignore each other and stick to their own kind. Course I have quite a few and I am guessing if I had under 10 birds total it would be a different story.

I would really think about the mess that comes with ducks regarding your thought of a pool in the garden. I only say this because when they were in the pool the area around the pool was very messy (poo) and they like to splash a lot. You may want to have the pool not in the pretty garden.
hu.gif
But then again I don't know the area you are really thinking of I just wanted to give you a heads up in case it would become a problem.

thanks for the heads up! I have an area next to my veg patch that I am think of converting, which is already just an area of dug up soil - my chickens love digging in it so much anyway! I may create a paved area and put a paddling pool on it for them and then they can dig in the area with the chickens.

I am considering upgrading my chicken coop to a shed, so the chickens can roost and the ducks sleep on the floor - not sure how the chickens would feel about that though so might do that an let them settle before introducing ducks!

I have always kept ducks and chickens together...I am actually just considering putting my banty cochins in with the call ducks so they have less competition, and less bother from the big roosters. The ducks snuggle in the bedding and the chickens roost so they always figure it out! I have had a Campbell who liked to "court" the blonde orpingtons, he would also perch with them!
The only thing I'm worried about is the little chickens and the pool...hopefully someone will come along and share their experiences...the standard chickens never went near the pool, but they can fly much better than the frizzled cochins so they could likely get out before drowning...hmmm
What sort of banties do you have?

I have one sussex silkie cross, one sussex and 2 plymouth rocks. I am a bit worried about introducing them to each other, last time I introduced some new chickens into the flock they had a few arguments but settled down pretty quick, but they have much sharper beaks than ducks!

I plan on putting the pool at the other side of the garden to where the chickens spend most of their time so i'm hoping the will just ignore it! If not they do fly quite well so would hopefully be able to get themselves out again.

The only thing i have left to decide is whether to get a seperate house for the ducks or to upgrade to a shed so they can share nicely!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom