4 Chickens in suburbia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by meandthegirls, Sep 17, 2012.

1. meandthegirls

meandthegirls Out Of The Brooder

Greetings from Northern California.

Me, along with my four chickens (Marsala, Piccata, Alfreda and Dumpling) are new members! I have been on this forum and seeking information from this site since April when we first embarked on the chicken journey! It has been fun, but not always easy, especially since I'm trying to raise them under the radar of Homeowner Associations and CCR's! Ugh.

I'm really a frustrated farm girl living in a neighborhood and some how fitting an abudant garden, 6 fruit trees and a chicken run in my backyard along side my patio set, lawn, fountain and swimming pool. My idea was to let my chicken's free range, I thought, "They will scratch in the planter beds, but why would they hang out on the patio". Well, you all know how wrong I was. They loved to sleep on the mat outside the sliding class door, perch on the rungs of the patio table and sit on the edge of my potted plants eating the flowers down to nothing. And the poop....Needless to say, we all got tired of the land mines left all over the patio and had a new plan. We moved the coup behind the pool and fenced off either side, letting the built in pool act as a fenceless boarder. This has worked very well. From time to time we had floating chickens, but the good news is that they do float! They can't get out, and look a little humbled when we rescue them, but have enjoyed a large space to scratch, many plants to eat, a lot of dirt to take dirt baths in and a hammock to sit on!

But now the problem is the noise. They scream at 6:30 in the morning to let them out of their coup...remember I'm not suppose to have chickens...so I rush out in my slippers and open the cage. And now, I have a hen, that is going through puberty or PMS and won't stay in the designated area. And when I lov=ck her in the coup she yell's! Ugh. I so wish I could just let them be chickens! After much effort...raising the fence, locking her a way for a while and threatening to have Chicken Alfreda for dinner tonight, she spent several hours in solitary confinement in the bathtub with the shower door closed! It shut her up and gave me a chance to actually get a few things done without having to chase her around the yard every few momments. I'm hoping she gets over this soon.

But we do have two hens that are laying regularly. Four mornings a week we get a brown egg and a blue egg. It is a lot of fun. The girls are usually a delight and somewhat soothing to watch as they forage behind the pool and roost in the fruit trees.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from Modesto! Where are you at? My chickens are super loud too I kinda cringe when I hear them BAWK BAWK BAWKing away even though I can have them where I live. My neighbors grow an "alternative crop" so I doubt they would call and complain LOL

4. Shelz

Shelz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    I just had to laugh at your post,,,thats pretty funny....I hope when I get my chickens,,,my neighbors dont decide to rally....Im "making my list" for backfire if they do lol

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Also, they have a super obnoxious barking dog, [​IMG]. My chickens are loud but the dog beats them hands down.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello from Los Angeles. I have had similar problems with my hens adventuring through the gate into my neighbors yard. In live in the city so my yard is super small and I was hoping to just let them have free rain but they keep visiting the dog next door and she wants to chew on them (no injuries at least). There has been much trial and error with fencing.

Good luck!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, meandthegirls, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Love the chicken names!! Best of luck to you!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by